Erasmus+ for incoming students

Students studying together in Chapman Building.

Given the current COVID-19 pandemic and global health crisis, all incoming mobility (both physical and virtual) due to start throughout the 2020/21 academic year is cancelled. We hope that we are able to welcome you to Salford again in the 2021/22 academic year.

We’re a proud member of the Erasmus+ mobility scheme and have taken part in the programme for many years. Please see our Erasmus+ Charter of Higher Education and our Policy Statement for information.

We can support the mobility of students between programme countries for both study and work purposes, so if you’re considering joining us, take a look at the options below to explore the opportunities available to you.

Mobility for studies and training

Mobility for studies

With the Erasmus+ programme, you'll be able to study with us for either a trimester or a full academic year, depending on the inter-institutional agreement between us and your home institution. You won't need to pay any fees to our University and may also be entitled to receive some funding from your home institution aimed at supporting your living costs here in Salford. 

Erasmus+ exchanges are based on study cycles and subject areas, meaning that, for example, an undergraduate politics student from a partner university could study politics at undergraduate level with us.

Before you apply, you must make sure that your institution is participating in the Erasmus+ scheme. Your university also needs to be a partner of Salford, i.e. an inter-institutional agreement between the two universities must be in place. Check our list of partners to see if we have an Erasmus+ agreement with your university in your study subject. If you do not see your university in the list, you will need to speak to your home university about alternative destinations.

If you're accepted

If you're accepted to study with us, your exchange coordinator (listed in your official acceptance letter) will get in touch with you to discuss module selection a few weeks before the start of the trimester. It's important that you discuss your choices with your academic advisor at your home university, to ensure that the modules you will be studying here are approved for credit transfer. 

It may sometimes be possible for you to take one or two modules outside of your subject area, although this will need to be approved by the academic tutors at both institutions. You may also be able to change, add or drop modules at the start of your studies with us, but this will be subject to availability and will need to be agreed with your link tutor on arrival. You will also need to ensure that any changes are approved with your home university and amended on your Learning Agreement.

Please note that your Learning Agreement must be signed by both your exchange coordinator at Salford, and your academic advisor back home. 

Mobility for training

Traineeships for students involve spending time in an enterprise, organisation or higher education institution in another country, with a view to gain specific skills and competences required by the labour market. Your traineeship should also be relevant to your programme of study.

Our University can act as a host, provided that you are registered in and studying at a university holding an ECHE. Unlike Erasmus+ mobility for studies, an inter-institutional agreement between the two universities is not required.

Eligible student traineeship activities include: traineeships embedded in the curriculum (counting towards the degree), voluntary traineeships (not required for the degree) and traineeships for recent graduates.

How does Brexit affect you?

The UK agreed a deal and left the EU on 31 January 2020. Under the Withdrawal Agreement negotiated with the EU, the UK will continue to participate fully in the current Erasmus+ programme, and we continue to welcome nominations and applications for the remainder of 2020. Find out more about the transition period.

As of yet, we have no information about how the programme will be affected after the transitional period, currently set for 31 December 2020*. Students should check with their home institutions for information on funding as some national agencies may not wish to fund mobility to the UK if the UK is no longer part of the European Union.

*Immigration rules, as well as working and studying regulations for students from abroad looking to join the University, are expected to remain the same for the whole duration of the transition period. For further information, please visit askUS.

Your eligibility to study with us

Your home institution will select students for participation in the Erasmus+ programme and discuss your options with you. They will also manage your Erasmus+ mobility and, if you’re successful, pass your details to us.

In order to be eligible to study or gain work experience with us, you must also meet our entry requirements, which differ between programmes of study.

English language requirements

Our English level requirements are set in our inter-institutional agreement with your home university. Students undertaking mobility for training are expected to have English language to the minimum B1/B2 level.

If you are a non-EU student applying for a Tier 4 visa, you are required to provide us with the International English Language Testing System for United Kingdom Visas and Immigration (IELTS for UKVI) certificate. Please note that no other English certifications will be accepted. Please visit the British Council website for further information. If you have not yet obtained the IELTS for UKVI certificate and intend to, please inform us by emailing All students undertaking an English programme e.g. English Language, English Literature etc., are required to submit a valid (not older than two years) C1 English language certificate.

If you are applying for a short-term study visa, you do not need a UKVI IELTS certificate for visa purposes. However, we might ask you to provide a valid English language certification in order to ensure that your language level reflects the expected standard.

Please also check with your home university as to whether they have any requirements you have to meet in order to be eligible to study or work abroad.

How to apply

Selection and nomination is made by your home institution once they confirm that you are able to take part in the Erasmus+ programme. Nominations must be submitted by your home university’s International Office using our online form. See below for more information.

Please note that your application will not be considered if we have not received a valid nomination from your home university’s International Office.

Application information


At this stage, we need to know what you are currently studying and what you would like to study with us. This information will be passed on to the relevant school and a decision will be made on whether your nomination is accepted or rejected. If your nomination is rejected, you will not be invited to complete an application form. Your nomination may be rejected for the following reasons: your chosen course is already fully booked, or your chosen course does not match your previous education.

Your institution will also be asked to confirm if you have a disability. This will enable us to make all necessary arrangements with the relevant teams in the institution to ensure you are provided with all the support you need. For any guidance on disclosing your condition, please visit Ahead. For information on our disability and learner support services, please visit askUS.

Nomination deadlines

  • If you apply to study for a full academic year or trimester 1: 1 April 2020
  • If you apply to study for trimester 2: 15 October 2020

Your application

If your nomination is accepted, you'll be asked to complete an application form. You'll also need to provide us with a copy of your passport or ID card and an official transcript of records (a certificate issued by your university listing your course(s) and grades). If you are a non-EU student applying to study with us for a full academic year, you'll also need to submit a copy of your English language certification.

Your application, together with your transcript, will be reviewed by the relevant school. Our admissions team will also check your documentation. Once we have confirmed that you meet our entry requirements, we will provide you with an acceptance letter and further information on the next steps. Your exchange coordinator will then be in touch to discuss your module choices.

Please do not book accommodation or flights until you receive an official acceptance letter from us.

Application deadlines

  • If you apply to study for a full academic year or trimester 1: 1 May 2020
  • If you apply to study for trimester 2: 1 November 2020

Status of your application

  1. We receive your nomination from the International Office at your home institution.

  2. Your nomination is forwarded to the relevant school for approval/rejection.

  3. We will inform you of the outcome of your nomination. If your nomination is accepted, you will receive an email from us with a link to our online application form.

  4. Your application is forwarded to the relevant exchange coordinator for approval/rejection.

  5. If your application has been accepted by the exchange coordinator, we will pass on your details and documentation to the Admissions team.

  6. If the Admissions team are satisfied with all the information and documentation provided, your details will be logged onto our system and you will be assigned a student ID number.

  7. We will generate an official acceptance letter for you, including your student ID number.

  8. You can now book your flights and accommodation.

  9. Your exchange coordinator will contact you a few weeks before the start of the trimester to discuss module choices.

While we endeavour to process all the applications as soon as possible, please note that due to the high volume of submissions, the process may take up to 6 weeks.


Get in touch

For more information about the Erasmus+ programme, or if you need further advice or support with the application process, please email


How many modules will I take?

A regular undergraduate course requires three modules to be studied per semester.

What if I need to take an additional module?

You may need to study an extra module to meet the requirements of your course at your home institution. If this is the case, let us know so that we can try and make the necessary arrangements.

How many credits does each module have at Salford and how does that convert to ECTS?

There is an official equivalence with the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) where 2 UK credits equal 1 ECTS credit, based on there being 120 UK credits and 60 ECTS credits to an academic year.

How do I find accommodation?

Our accommodation is managed by our accommodation partners Campus Living Villages (CLV), and there are two options for you to choose from: Peel Park Quarter, or John Lester and Eddie Colman Courts. Please note that accommodation on campus is not guaranteed for all visiting students due to very high demand. You will only be able to apply for student accommodation once you have been officially accepted and provided with an acceptance letter containing your student ID.

For more information about our accommodation, as well as living off-campus, visit our accommodation page.

We strongly advise that you do not sign a contract or pay any money until you have viewed any private accommodation in person.

Will my EHIC card be valid in the UK following Brexit?

EHIC cards are still valid until 31 December 2020.