Contracts Management and Practice
School of Science, Engineering and Environment
Two and a half year
In a nutshell
Quantity surveyors plan and manage the procurement and financial aspects of construction projects. With great career prospects and the chance to build a broad skill set where you can manage projects and teams, quantity surveying is fast-becoming a popular postgraduate study choice.
Designed as a standalone conversion programme, our popular Quantity Surveying postgraduate degree is an ideal choice for graduates from a legal, business or geography background, who are seeking a different career focus for their skills.
Delivered with full-time, part-time, and distance learning pathways, and accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), the course is also a solid choice for existing professionals who want to cement their skills with a recognised qualification.
There are few better places in the UK to study the built environment. Located at the heart of the UK's largest property and construction market outside of London, our expert academic team can draw on close industry partnerships and live local case studies to enrich your learning experience.
- Learn to organise and plan the procurement and financial management of construction projects
- Be able to effectively manage and administer construction contracts
- Lead and work effectively with project teams and communicate effectively in a variety of forms
This is for you if...
You're a knowledgeable construction or built environment professional looking to move into quantity surveying
You're a graduate from a law, business or finance background looking to focus your skills in a new area
You want to enhance your knowledge and gain specialism in quantity surveying with a recognised qualification
All about the course
The Quantity Surveying postgraduate degree course comprises eight carefully-designed modules plus one research-based dissertation project.
The MSc award comprises eight taught modules plus a dissertation. The PgDip comprises eight taught modules. The PgCert award comprises four specified taught modules.
You can choose to study the course full-time or part-time on campus, or part-time via distance learning.
- Full-time students will complete four 15-credit taught modules in each of of the first two trimesters on campus. In the final trimester, you will complete a dissertation worth 60 credits.
- Part-time students will complete two 15-credit modules in each of of the first four trimesters on campus. In two additional trimesters, you will complete a dissertation worth 60 credits.
- Distance learning students will complete two 15-credit taught modules in each of your first four trimesters. In two additional trimesters, you will complete your dissertation online, with tutor support.
- Standard Forms of Contracts and Sub-contracts- JCT, FIDIC, ECC/NEC, GC Works etc
- Contractual mechanisms and procedures at various stages of the contract
- Contract Clauses- issues of time extensions, contract price and variations
- Commercial management of contracts: Interim payments, sub-contract and supplier agreements
- Conflict avoidance and management procedures
- Strategic procurement in construction
- Procuring design and construction services – examining alternative strategies for procuring consultants and contractors
- Procurement frameworks – understanding alternative contractual frameworks within which relations between organisations are formed
- Partnering strategies within construction procurement
- Supply chain management – examining ‘supply'
Financial & Commercial Management
- Finance in the construction industry
- Approaches to estimating
- Tendering and bidding
- Financial control
Quantity Surveying Practice
- Budgeting and order of cost estimating
- Cost planning
- Quantification and costing
- Tendering process and procedure
- Whole life costing
BIM for the Built Environment
- Concepts to collaborative working and BIM
- Standards and procedures for collaborative working and BIM
- Relevance of BIM for your role in collaborative working projects
- Simulation workshop – 4D Simulation & Construction Planning, 5D Cost Estimating
- Project monitoring – scan to BIM
Value and Risk Management
- Value management in construction projects
- Theory and applications Risk, hazard and uncertainty
- Risk management systems and frameworks
- Value and risk assessment/analysis
- Emerging processes and practice
Sustainable Construction Process and Technology
- Superstructure. - domestic
- Superstructure - commercial
- Environmental sustainability and services
- Pre-manufactured solutions incorporating off site construction and assembly/modern methods of construction
Process Management in Construction
- Construction process and project process models
- Process analysis and modelling
- Construction innovation and process improvement
- Project planning tools and techniques
- Project resource management and control
This module allows you to develop a research proposal with clear aims and objectives related to your study. You will undertake a critical analysis of existing research and engage in various forms of recognised research in order to produce a sustained, sophisticated, and logical argument in the form of a written dissertation.
Please note that it may not be possible to deliver the full list of options every year as this will depend on factors such as how many students choose a particular option. Exact modules may also vary in order to keep content current. When accepting your offer of a place to study on this programme, you should be aware that not all optional modules will be running each year. Your tutor will be able to advise you as to the available options on or before the start of the programme. Whilst the University tries to ensure that you are able to undertake your preferred options, it cannot guarantee this.
What will I be doing?
Campus-based teaching and learning will develop your knowledge and skills through a blend of theoretical, collaborative and practical methods, including:
- Lectures and tutorials
- Project work
- Directed study
- One-to-one tutorials (by appointment)
Typically, lectures will introduce the core module knowledge with tutorials designed to provide a forum for tutor-led discussion and debate. Project work is your chance to conduct research and other techniques that will help you to develop solutions to prescribed tasks.
Distance learning students will experience our online learning environment and intensive tutor support. Weekly online tutorials are delivered to encourage student participation.
Our online learning materials enable you to complete self-directed study at your own convenience. Learning is driven by real-world problems in workplaces and job roles.
Assessment methods include written coursework (100%) and continuous informal assessment by your tutors.
For full-time students, some modules include assessment using presentations
Dissertations delivered online receive extensive tutor support.
School of Science, Engineering and Environment
Rising to the challenge of a rapidly changing world, our multi-disciplinary courses will shape the next generation of urbanists, scientists, engineers, consultants and conservationists. Shaped by industry and delivered by supportive programme teams, you can develop the skills to become unstoppable in your career
On campus, you will experience a modern learning environment, enriched with accessible lecture theatres and AV-equipped classrooms, computing suites and multimedia libraries, with access to industry journals, databases, and simulation software. Online, you will experience our sophisticated virtual learning environment.
The Quantity Surveying postgraduate programme is delivered by an academic team with extensive research and subject knowledge. The team is part of a global built environment community with prominence in shaping construction industry best practice.
What about after uni?
This course is designed to prepare you for a rewarding career as a quantity surveyor. The role of a quantity surveyor is varied and challenging, as you help to shape the future built environment. You will graduate with a recognised qualification ready to take advantage of exciting opportunities either in the UK, or overseas in Asia, Europe, or the Middle East.
Quantity surveying graduates can expect to work in a wide range of public and private sector organisations, including construction companies, project management consultancies, and government departments. Today, Salford's quantity surveying alumni can be found in roles at leading engineering and construction organisations, including Lend Lease, Kier, Laing O'Rourke, Gardiner and Theobald, and Balfour Beatty.
Globally, the urban built environment is becoming the predominant place for livelihoods. Many quantity surveying postgraduates choose research to further their knowledge of key built environment challenges. Learn more about postgraduate research opportunities available through our Doctoral School.
The Centre for Urban Processes, Resilient Infrastructure and Sustainable Environments at Salford hosts a community of academics, practitioners and researchers at the forefront of exploring how we can enhance our built environments at both the local, national and international scales.
This course is extensively informed by collaboration between the university’s academics and industry partners from the built environment. Our experienced teaching team maintain strong links with the architecture, engineering and construction sectors, both local and international.
This collaboration with the professions ensures a stimulating range of external guest lecturers, as well as career networking opportunities. You will benefit from field visits, practitioner-led lectures and real-world problem-solving work developed for and by industry.
What you need to know
The course is recommended for graduates from a broad range of subject areas, including the arts, sciences, law or business, as a gateway to a future quantity surveying career. This course is also relevant for current professionals who want to formalise their existing skills with an accredited qualification.
No prior knowledge of quantity surveying, property or construction is required, however, quantity surveying is a broad and challenging field, so it is important that you are prepared for the scope of the learning material.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
International applicants must demonstrate proficiency in English. An IELTS score of 6.0 (with no element below 5.5) is proof of this.
Applicants must have a minimum of a second class honours degree (2:2).
Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL)
We welcome applications from students who may not have formal/traditional entry criteria but who have relevant experience or the ability to pursue the course successfully.
The Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL) process could help you to make your work and life experience count. The APL process can be used for entry onto courses or to give you exemptions from parts of your course.
Two forms of APL may be used for entry: the Accreditation of Prior Certificated Learning (APCL) or the Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL).
|Type of study||Year||Fees|
|Full-time home||2020/21||£8,460per year|
|Full-time international||2020/21||£13,320per year|
|Part-time||2020/21||£1,410 per 30 credits|
|Distance learning||2020/21||UK/EU: £1410 per 30 credits. International: £1,845 per 30 credits.|
|Full-time home||2021/22||£8,640per year|
|Full-time international||2021/22||£15030per year|
|Part-time||2021/22||£1,440 per 30 credits|
|Distance learning||2021/22||UK: £1,440 per 30 credits. International: £1,890 per 30 credits.|
You should consider further costs which may include books, stationery, printing, binding and general subsistence on trips and visits.
Scholarships for international students
If you are a high-achieving international student, you may be eligible for one of our scholarships.
We have a range of scholarships available for students applying for courses in 2020-2021 and 2021-2022. Our Global Gold Excellence Scholarship is worth £3,500 and our Global Silver Excellence Scholarship is worth £3,000 - both are available for students studying in our 2021/22 intakes.
We also offer the Salford International Excellence Scholarship which offers up to £5,000 discount on tuition fees. As this is a prestigious award we have a limited number of these scholarships available.
See the full range of our International Scholarships.