Help with the cost of living
The cost of living has increased for everyone – we’re all feeling like managing our money is getting harder. We’re working hard to find new ways to support you alongside the support we already have in place. You’ll find links to existing support, resources, funding, on-campus resources and more on this page.
We are continually updating the content as more support is provided, so keep an eye on our communication channels for new support as the days get colder.
The content on this page was last updated on 23 November 2022.
Our support to help with the cost of living includes multiple provisions, including the introduction of two new bursaries for eligible students.
- Food Bursary for eligible students to help with food costs
- Commuter Bursary for eligible students to help with transport costs
- Free meals on campus in January, February and March 2023
- Adjustments to our existing Salford Support Fund, including additional funding and amended assessment criteria
- Additional funding added to our existing bursaries for our underrepresented students
Further financial support measures may be developed in the future and we will provide information for these at the time of confirmation. For the full details of our support, please visit the Student Hub where you can find FAQs and Terms and Conditions (including eligibility criteria) for each of the new bursaries.
We also provide a number of existing financial support mechanisms to help you with your financial wellbeing, which you can find below.
- Food prices have been dropped or frozen at Atmosphere in University House
- Sign up for the NUS/TOTUM card student discounts
- Sign up to Student Beans for student discounts
- Sign up to UNiDAYS for more student discounts
- Make sure to check if any online subscriptions you have (and that you absolutely need to keep!) have a student membership option, e.g. Amazon Prime
Self-help resources and advice
On-campus spaces and resources
- We have plenty of student spaces with heating across all of our campuses. These spaces provide comfortable seating for individuals and groups, power supply and some also have kitchenettes with microwaves and hot/cold water and sinks
- Clifford Whitworth Library on Peel Park campus is open 24/7 with warm study spaces available with either Library staff or Security available at all times for support.
- There is a Wellness Room that gives you access to a relaxation area with sofa spaces and a kitchen with a microwave to warm your meals 24/7
- There is a decorated family room that provides books and games, where children are welcome to play alongside studying parents (room 9)
- Spaces you can book for events:
- Attend events to meet new people and be in a warm space
Laptops and software
- Borrow a laptop from the Library
- Download free software or use our software through your browser
- Find textbooks and other resources in the Library's collection instead of buying them
- Request a new library item (e.g. textbook or journal access) from the Library if it doesn't exist
- Use the Library's leisure reading collection
Utilities and power
- Clifford Whitworth Library offers free sanitary products in their bathrooms
- The Sports Centre has changing rooms with showers and offers cheap memberships starting from £14 per month
- You can find charging points in many of our student spaces, classrooms and other areas of our buildings
- Find showers on campus with our interactive map