Skip to main content

Postgraduate Study for Disabled Students &Graduates

The best time to undertake postgraduate study will depend on your individual circumstances and goals. You can undertake further study full time, part time and, increasingly, through distance learning. Study can be undertaken straight after a degree, after a year out, or many years later.

For more information, see the Graduate Prospects website.

Useful Websites

The following collection of websites have been collected together by Careers and Employability. These websites will give you further information, advice and key pointers for further action.

  • Student Finance England - Information from the Department for Education and skills on the Disabled Students Allowance.
  • Skill - Skill is the National Bureau for Students with Disabilities, and it is a charity that promotes opportunities for people with any kind of disability in learning and employment. Skill provides a free information and advice service for disabled people via a freephone helpline, email and their website.

Useful Information

  • Postgraduate education for disabled students - useful information for choosing and applying for a postgraduate course, funding for disability-related costs, postgraduate professional qualifications, regional funding, research council and other public funding, how to find other sources of funding.
  • Applying for Disabled Students' Allowances - This handout is useful for information on who is eligible for DSAs, which courses are designated for DSAs, DSA components (including specialist equipment allowance, non-medical helpers allowance, general/other expenditure allowance and travel costs), DSA amounts, applying for DSAs, other funding and some other helpful sources of information.
  • Bridging the Gap: a guide to the Disabled Student's Allowances (DSAs) in higher education - This very useful AimHigher handout is useful for information on DSAs, eligibility, disclosure, applying, payments, assessments of need, equipment distribution, repaying DSAs, course transfers, what to do if your application is turned down and what other financial support is available.
  • Funding from charitable trusts - This handout from Skill is useful for information on trust criteria, and things to do before you apply and when you apply. It also contains information on trusts that help disabled students specifically, those that do so as well as other people, those that help women in education, those that help students doing specific courses (including postgraduate courses) and trusts that help students living or studying in certain regions or establishments.