This information is about re-registration for returning students. If you are a new student, visit the registration webpage on our Welcome site.
Re-registration provides us with key data to help us ensure we have your up-to-date details and to confirm you are studying this academic year. Registering means you will maintain full access to your IT and library accounts, including your student email account, Office365, Blackboard, Advantage, printing and building access (if applicable).
You must re-register as a student every year, even if you are a distance learner or will be based at a partner institution. Re-registration also applies to you if you are on placement, away on data collection, are retaking a year or are returning from an interruption of study.
FAQs for January returners who haven't yet registered
What happens if I don’t register before 30 January?
- You will be withdrawn from your course. You will then need to seek permission from your school to be registered late, which takes additional time and diverts our resources away from supporting other students with administrative, pastoral care and other support
- You will lose access to our student systems like Blackboard
- You won’t receive any money from the Students Loan Company (if you have applied)
I haven’t received my registration email yet. What do I do?
That could be because you haven’t technically passed your previous year of study due to assessment resubmissions or another factor. Please fill out this form to let us know that you’ve not got an email and we can advise you on the next steps.
I have received my email but I haven’t registered yet. When do I need to do this by?
Please register without delay. You will be withdrawn from your course if you haven’t registered by 23:59 on Sunday 29 January 2023. You will lose access to our systems and you won’t receive any SLC funding (if you are eligible and have applied).
I need help with the process. Can someone help me register?
You’ll find a written guide to the registration process under these questions. If you need someone to help you register, please contact us as soon as possible by contacting the Registration team:
- Use the live chat on this webpage (Monday to Thursday: 08:00-20:00; Friday: 08:00-17:00; Saturday 12:00-18:00)
- Email email@example.com
- Call +44 (0)161 295 0023 (option 3, option 1) (Monday to Thursday: 08:00-20:00; Friday: 08:00-17:00; Saturday 12:00-18:00)
- Visiting askUS in University House (Monday to Friday. 08:00-17:00 at University House; 10:00-16:00 at MediaCity)
I haven’t registered because I have been experiencing personal problems. Where can I find support?
Please reach out to askUS for any support you need with your mental, financial, physical or spiritual wellbeing. We have multiple teams of experts here to support you and we can provide you with an understanding of the support we can provide and the different options you have. Have this conversation sooner rather than later so we can get you the support you need as soon as possible.
You can contact askUS by your preferred method (email, live chat, phone or visit in-person) for support:
- Use the live chat on the askUS website (Monday to Thursday: 08:00-20:00; Friday: 08:00-17:00; Saturday 12:00-18:00)
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call +44 (0)161 295 0023 (Monday to Thursday: 08:00-20:00; Friday: 08:00-17:00; Saturday 12:00-18:00)
- Visit askUS in University House (Monday to Friday. 08:00-17:00 at University House; 10:00-16:00 at MediaCity)
I want to take a break from study or withdraw. What do I do?
Let us know if you want to take a break / pause (interrupt) your studies or withdraw. Read through our information on our webpage first, then advise us what you'd like to do through the self-service portal linked on that page.
The registration process
We will send you an email when registration opens with a link to the online portal and your registration portal login details. This email will be sent approximately four to six weeks before your course recommences. To complete registration you will need to:
- Have passed your previous year of study
- Check and update the information and contact details we have saved for you
- Confirm your Right to Study in the UK (all students with a nationality outside of the United Kingdom or dual nationality)
- Confirm how you will pay your tuition fees for the next academic year (if you don't already have funding currently in place)
Note: We offer programmes in collaboration with a number of partner institutions across the world and, as such, registration processes may vary. If you are unsure about registration and whether the process differs for you, please contact your home institution in the first instance.
Registration dates and deadlines
Registration opened for all returning students during the week commencing 5 December 2022. You receive an email when you are eligible to register.
For University of Salford students
You need to register once per academic year, based on when your course first started. For example, if you started study in September 2021, you need to re-register before the start of Trimester 1 in September 2022. If you started your course in January 2021 and aren’t yet in your final year, you need to re-register before the start of Trimester 2 in January 2022.
You should aim to register before your course resumes. You will only be able to re-register if you have passed your previous year's study. If for any reason you feel you will face a delay in registering, you should contact your school office (for taught programmes) or contact your research administrator (for research programmes) as soon as possible to advise of your circumstances.
- You should re-register before the start of Trimester 2. Trimester 2 for the 2022/23 academic year commences on 16 January 2023.
- You MUST register by the end of Week 19 (27 January). After this point you need approval from your school and risk being withdrawn from your course.
Note: there may be a delay in getting your record ready if you are awaiting the results of an exam board. You should contact your school office if you are concerned.
For students at our partner institutions
You must register with the University of Salford before Friday 10 February 2023. We recommend registering much earlier than this date to ensure that you have plenty of time left to receive any assistance you need. You may also need to re-register with your institution – they will send you information about this.