The UK has now left the EU. The University of Salford has a strong community of EU students studying at undergraduate, postgraduate and research level. We look forward to welcoming EU students for 2021 and many years to come.

This page provides information for applicants and students as the UK goes through the Brexit negotiations and provides links to updated information.

This page was last amended on 16 April 2021.



The University of Salford will take part in the Erasmus+ programme until May 2023. All applications are subject to the COVID-19 global health pandemic.  

  • Applications for students interested in Erasmus+ study mobilities at partner universities in 2022-23 are due by 4 March 2022. Please contact your School for further information.
  • If you are a University of Salford student interested in taking part in an Erasmus+ traineeship (work placement) in summer 2022 for either studies or a traineeship must apply no later than 2 months before the start date. Please contact your School for further information.
  • UK universities are now able to participate in Erasmus+ programmes until the end of May 2023. However, arrangements for studying and working in the EU have changed. Students interested in International Opportunities should be aware that regulations have changed and they may be required to register with local authorities to receive a work or study visa.
  • All students should also ensure they understand what they are entitled to in term of health insurance as the European Health Insurance Card is no longer valid. Please see the NHS website for further information and check the UK Government’s Living In Guides at and Information for visiting Europe after Brexit.
  • The UK government introduced a new mobility scheme called the Turing Scheme from September 2021. Please ask your School and the International Opportunities website for further information and see check our website here

Erasmus+ FAQs

Will the partner institution continue teaching me if the UK is no longer in the EU or part of the Erasmus+ programme? 
The majority of our partners have confirmed that they wish to continue working with us now the UK has left the EU. If you have queries about any particular institution, please contact the International Opportunities Team at A full list of partnerships is available here

Will I be able to continue to access Erasmus+ funding? 
In theory, it is business as usual for the Erasmus+ programme until the end of May 2023. If you are interested in the Erasmus+ programme, please contact the International Opportunities Team at for further information. 

Are there any visa implications for studying and working in the EU now the UK is no longer a member state?  
Regulations have changed. Please see for details of arrangements for individual countries.  

Tuition fees and student maintenance support


Tuition Fees: EU nationals currently studying whose course started before 31 July 2021 will continue to pay the same tuition fees as UK students for the duration of your course.  If your course starts after 1 August 2021 the government has stated that you would be charged International Student fees.  

Loans and Grants: The Student Loans Company have confirmed that the rules for EU nationals to access loans and/or grants will be unchanged for those currently studying on courses which started before 31 July 2021.  EU students applying will still have access to student funding support and their eligibility will continue throughout their course.  If your course starts after 1 August 2021 you will no longer be eligible for main UK student loans unless you have a qualifying form of settled or similar status, for example Right of Permanent Residence (ROPR). These will be subject to other requirements. Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales will have separate arrangements.

Postgraduate Study: EU students starting a postgraduate course in 2020-21 will pay the same fees as UK students and continue to have access to student loans and other funding for the duration of their courses.  The guarantees mean that these students will be able to apply for a PhD loan to study at UK universities, and to apply for public PhD funding, including Research Council studentships.

Coming to the UK and staying here

Useful links on topics in this section:

If you arrive in the UK before 1 January 2021, you will not need a visa. If you plan to stay in the UK longer than 31 December 2020 (for example, to complete your full course), you’ll need to apply online for the EU Settlement Scheme . The scheme is free of charge. You should apply as soon as possible after you’ve arrived in the UK. EU students who want to study in the UK from 2021 should refer to the guidance here.


Useful links on topics in this section:

As a student from an EU country, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland you should apply for a a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from your country of residence before you travel to the UK and bring it with you.  If your EHIC is lost or stolen you can apply for a Provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC). If you have begun a course of education or training in England before 31 December 2020, you may continue to use your EHIC or PRC to access free NHS healthcare until the end of your course, even if that is after 31 December 2020.  

You will need to present your EHIC or PRC every time you need to access healthcare that becomes medically necessary during your stay. You may also be asked to demonstrate when you began your course in the UK.  If you do not have an EHIC or PRC, you can continue to apply for one from the health insurance authority in your home country.  An EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. You should buy insurance to cover your healthcare as you would if visiting another non-EU country.

If you have applied to the EU Settlement Scheme and been granted Pre-settled or Settled Status this will mean you are eligible to use the NHS free of charge – one reason why it is important to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme as soon as you arrive.

For UK students studying in the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, you'll need to apply for a student EHIC.  If you started studying in an EU country before 31 December 2020, your student EHIC will be valid for the rest of the time you study in that country.  An EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. You should buy insurance to cover your healthcare as you would if visiting another non-EU country.


If you are able to travel (taking into account all relevant regulations and guidance related to Covid-19), here are a few things to take into consideration in light of the upcoming UK exit from the EU. As circumstances can change, do always check for up-to-date information when planning and booking.

We would like to emphasise the following points:

You will be expected to be in attendance for compulsory programme activities and assessments. If you travel, plan for delays and disruption and make sure you allow plenty of time to reach, and move between, travel hubs.

  • Consider your contingency arrangements if your travel is delayed, either going or coming back, for example ensuring you have access to additional funds or a credit card.
  • Take extra care to ensure that all your travel documentation is present and up-to-date and that you have checked the requirements for your travel. Students travelling abroad during the Brexit period are advised to carry the proof of study letter you received on registering on your course
  • Ensure that you have the right travel insurance. Consider roaming charges by UK mobile phone providers – more information on the Government website.

If you have question, please contact our Admissions team (if you are a prospective student) or askUS (if you are a current student).