Children talking to an adult.

ChildSafe at The University of Salford

The University of Salford has become the first university in the world to receive ChildSafe accreditation. Through a ChildSafe approach it is hoped that stronger neighbourhoods can be created with healthy, happy and safe children and young people at their hearts. 

We want to play a role in ensuring every child gets the best start in life which will contribute to making Greater Manchester a Centre of excellence for the health and wellbeing of children and young people. Part of our approach is to ensure that all our students feel confident in raising the alarm if they witness child abuse or neglect. We want our students to be active and responsible citizens and help to create a safer communities for children throughout Salford and beyond. 

What is Child Abuse?

According the NSPCC, child abuse is when ‘a child is intentionally harmed by an adult or another child – it can be over a period of time but can also be a one-off action. It can be physical, sexual or emotional and it can happen in person or online. It can also be a lack of love, care and attention – this is neglect’.

Child abuse is extremely damaging and can have a detrimental impact of children’s health and development (both physical and emotional). The effects of child abuse can last for years, even for life for some people. They can negatively impact a person's physical and mental health, their ability to form positive relationships and their ability to gain an education and participate in the labour market. This is why its so important to tackle child abuse and ensure it is reported if you suspect it. You can find out more about child abuse and what to do if you have concerns a child is being abused by taking a look through the presentation below.

Where can I get further information?

The NSPCC are the UK’s leading children’s charity and are a great source of information about issues relating to children’s safety and wellbeing. The following pages have information about the types of child abuse children may face and how to spot the signs.

Citizens Advice is a network of charities that offer free advice around a range of issues online, over the phone and in person. The pages below contain more information about child abuse and how to get help.

Below you will find information from the Government on how to report child abuse if you have concerns.

If you are a child and would like to speak to someone about your concerns or get advice and support you can contact Childline