Professor Jason Underwood
School of Science, Engineering and Environment
Professor Digital Built Environments & Construction ICT; Programme Director MSc. BIM & Digital Built Environments; Director Construct IT For Business
Jason Underwood is a Professor in Construction ICT & Digital Built Environments and Programme Director of the MSc. in Building Information Modelling (BIM) & Digital Built Environments within the School of Science, Engineering & Environment at the University of Salford. He holds a BEng (Hons) in Civil Engineering from Liverpool John Moores University, a Master’s in Psychology from Liverpool Hope University, and a PhD from the University of Salford. His doctoral thesis was on ‘Integrating Design and Construction to Improve Constructability through an Effective Usage of IT’. He is a Chartered Member of both the Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors (MCInstCES) and The British Psychological Society (CPsychol), and a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA).
Jason’s background is a combination of civil/structural engineering and construction ICT. He has over twenty five years’ research experience in the areas of concurrent engineering, integrated and collaborative computing in construction, product and building information modelling, digital built environments, collaborative construction and behaviours, BIM maturity assessment, BIM education and training in the development of BIM capabilities, and organisational e-readiness towards delivering strategic value from ICT/BIM investment. Through leading/involvement in both UK and EU funded research/KTP/KE projects, he has published extensively.
He is actively engaged in the digital transformation of the UK construction industry. Jason is the present Chair of the UK BIM Academic Forum and Director of Construct IT For Business, an industry-led non-profit making collaborative membership-based network. His affiliations at a national level include the Centre For Digital Built Britain, BIM Task Group Education & Training working group, UK BIM Alliance, Scottish BIM Delivery Academia Group, Behaviours4Collaboration Group, Constructing Excellence Digital Construction Group, and Nuclear Institute Digital Special Interest Group, and, at a local level, with the Northwest Regional BIM Hub, Northwest Construction Hub BIM Special Interest Group, and Constructing Excellence Manchester Committee. He is also Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Digital Innovation in the Built Environments (IJDIBE).
Areas of research
Concurrent Engineering, Integrated and Collaborative Computing in Construction, Product and Building Information Modelling, Digital Built Environments, Digital Transformation, Collaborative Construction and Behaviours, BIM Maturity Assessment, BIM Education and Training, Organisational e-Readiness
- BIM concepts, principles, benefits, drivers, challenges, and barriers;
- Managing Information using BIM;
- BIM, the change management process & people;
- BIM, big data, digital twins & smart cities
- Integrated approaches to project delivery;
- Collaborative working & behaviours.
- Construction informatics;
- Concurrent engineering;
- Integrated and collaborative computing in construction;
- Product and building information modelling;
- Digital built environments;
- Organisational e-readiness;
- Collaborative working and behaviours;
- BIM Education and upskilling.
- 2011-2103: MSc. Psychology (Distinction), Liverpool Hope University
- 1991-1995: PhD. In the Application of Information Technology in Construction (Thesis entitled “Integrating Design and Construction to Improve Constructability Through an Effective Usage of IT”), University of Salford
- 1987-1991: BEng. (Hons) Civil Engineering: Second Class (Upper Division), Liverpool John Moores University
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Civil Engineering Surveyors (MCInstCES)
- Chartered Member of The British Psychological Society (CPsychol)
- UK BIM Alliance Leadership Group (UK BIM Academic Forum representative)
- HMG BIM Task Group Education & Training Work Stream (academic representative and Learning Ooutcome Framework Lead)
- K Building Information Modelling (BIM) Academic Forum (current chair and University of Salford representative)
- Scottish Futures Trust BIM Academic Group
- BIM4Community (as Chair of BIM Academic Forum)
- Behaviours4Collaboration Group
- Constructing Excellence Digital Construction Group
- Nuclear Institute Digital Special Interest Group
- BIM Task Group North West Regional BIM Hub
- North West Construction Hub Digital Construction (BIM) Special Interest Group
- Manchester City Council Employer’s Information Requirements (EIR) Group
- Network Rail Supply Chain BIM Forum
- Chartered Institute Civil Engineering Surveyors North West & North Wales Committee
- Chartered Institute Civil Engineering Surveyors Education, Professional Development & Membership Committee
- Constructing Excellence Manchester Committee
- CIRIA Universities Infrastructure Group (University of Salford representative)
- RICS Construction IT Business Group (Construct IT For Business representative).