All items are loaned for one week at a time. You may have them for as many as 13 weeks because they renew automatically. However, if another student requests the item you must return it within the stated time period or you will be charged.
What if a book won't renew?
Books won't renew for one of four reasons:
- The book has been requested by another user - The book must be returned by its due date. Unreturned requested books will be charged at a rate of 50p per day, up to a maximum of £20.
- The maximum number of renewals has been reached (books will be loaned for up to 14 weeks) - The book will not renew beyond the 13 week limit. If the book has not been requested and you want to keep it, you can renew it at the library enquiry desk and start another 13 week loan period. No charges will be made for overdue books that have not been requested.
- Your library account has expired before the expected due date of the book after renewal - The book will not renew beyond your account expiry date and will need to be returned. No charges will be made for overdue books that have not been requested.
- The book is lost and has been invoiced - The book needs to be returned immediately. You will have already been notified of the charges relating to the replacement cost of the book. Failure to return the book may incur further charges for debt collection.
If a book is not renewing and you are unclear about why, please get in touch.
What communication will you send me?
You will receive the following emails from us on a regular basis:
- Recall notification - advising that a book you have borrowed will not be renewed as it is requested by another user.
- Pre overdue letter - advising that a book you have loaned is due for return.
- Overdue letter - advising that a book you have on loan has now passed its due date and is overdue for return.
All of our communications are sent as a courtesy and should not be relied on to keep track of your due dates. Failure to receive notification is not a valid reason to remove any charges that you may have accrued as a result of books going overdue on your account.