Whether you're a new student starting your first assignment, further on in your studies, or starting a research project, this page will help you find and use the best information for your subject. You will also find resources to help develop your academic, study and digital skills.
If you can’t find what you need here, please contact your Academic Support Team: firstname.lastname@example.org
Key resources for Social Work students
- Social Sciences Databases – ProQuest: this provides access to key UK and worldwide articles and research, including the British Journal of Social Work.
- CINAHL: offers a systemised approach to searching for articles and research in the areas of Health and Social Care.
- Community Care Inform- Adults and Children: Guidance to key pieces of legislation, expert articles and practice guides.
Books and Journals
The first place you should look is your reading list – you will find a link to this in your Blackboard modules. It lists all the core texts for your subject as recommended by your lecturers. All our other books and journals can be found in Library Search. We've created a map to help you find social work books in the library.
These sites may have some journals but also other key research.
- Evidence Search: provides free access to clinical and non-clinical information including evidence, guidance and Government policy.
- British Association of Social Work: provides discussion and information current topics in the field.
- SCIE- Social care institute for Excellence: shares and supports the use of knowledge and evidence about what works in practice.
These resources can help you gain further skills to assist in your future career.
LinkedIn Learning offers more than 9,000 professionally produced online courses covering a wide range of technical, creative and professional skills.
Microsoft Office Specialist Certification Boost your CV with this globally recognised IT qualification.
APA 7th Edition is the main referencing style in use at the University. We've compiled an easy to follow list of guidebooks and examples to help you get to grips with complexities of referencing.
Newspapers are a valuable source of information. They provide insight into what interests and concerns people both now and in the past.
The Library provides some excellent newspaper sources that allow you to search simply and easily across many newspapers at once.
Dissertations and Theses
During the course of your studies, you may find that you need to search for dissertations or theses.
You can use Library Search to help you find them and there are a number of different ways to search, depending on what you want to find.
Book a one to one
If you’ve tried our eLearning and classroom sessions and need more help, you can request a one to one appointment for information finding, academic and writing or digital skills. Select your chosen time slot and book on through Advantage.
Book on a workshop
We offer a wide range of face-to-face skills training. If you need to improve your IT skills, learn how to find information for your assignments or improve your study skills this is a great place to start.
All workshops are bookable through Advantage by clicking on the workshop title. Where a session has no remaining spaces you can add yourself to the waiting list.
- Starts: 10 Oct 2023, 11:00 amFinishes: 10 Oct 2023, 12:00 pmRemaining places: 35This workshop is aimed at new students. This workshop covers the different types of assessments at university and how to get started on them.
- Starts: 12 Oct 2023, 1:00 pmFinishes: 12 Oct 2023, 2:00 pmVenue: Peel Park Campus, Peel, Peel Building room 106Remaining places: 18This workshop is aimed at new students. This workshop covers the different types of assessments at university and how to get started on them. This workshop will be delivered on campus.
- Starts: 16 Oct 2023, 12:00 pmFinishes: 16 Oct 2023, 1:00 pmRemaining places: 40This workshop is aimed at new students. This workshop covers the different types of assessments at university and how to get started on them.
- Starts: 27 Sep 2023, 5:00 pmFinishes: 27 Sep 2023, 6:00 pmRemaining places: 83Find out about the main IT tools, resources and services you need to get started as a student at the University of Salford.
- Starts: 5 Oct 2023, 12:00 pmFinishes: 5 Oct 2023, 1:00 pmVenue: MOS Exam - Certiport exam providerRemaining places: 14This is a one-hour online EXAM SESSION for MOS certification. At the time of booking, you must have scored over 70% in GMetrix's 'Testing' mode for your chosen application. Bookings not meeting this criterion will be cancelled.
- Starts: 11 Oct 2023, 12:00 pmFinishes: 11 Oct 2023, 1:00 pmRemaining places: 99This workshop will introduce you to the main IT tools, resources and services you need to get started as a student at the University of Salford. This workshop will be delivered online.