Geography and Environment
Whether you're a new student starting your first assignment, further on in your studies, or starting a research project, this page will help you find and use the best information for your subject. You will also find resources to help develop your academic, study and digital skills.
If you can’t find what you need here, please contact your Academic Support Team: library-SEE@salford.ac.uk
Key resources for Geography and Environment students
Books and reading lists
The first place you should look for resources is your reading list; you will find a link to this in your Blackboard modules. It lists all the core texts for your subject as recommended by your lecturers.
Other textbooks can be found in Library Search.
Can’t find a textbook you want? Ask your Library Champion to request it for the Library.
Journals, magazines and newspapers
Journals and magazines
- Applied Geography
- Cities and the Environment
- Environment and Planning (A to D)
- Environment and Society
- Environment International
- Environmental Science & Policy
- Ethics, Policy & Environment
- Geographical Journal
- Geographical Research
- Geographical Review
- GIS Science
- International Journal of Geographical Information Science
- Journal of Environment & Development
- Journal of Geographical Systems
- Population and Environment
- The Geographical Magazine
- Transactions in GIS
Can’t find a journal article you want? Ask for a new library item.
You can find other journals and articles in Library Search
The Library has access to a large collection of newspapers. See the full range and find out how to access them on our Newspapers web page.
Databases and specialist sources
- Box of Broadcasts
- British Standards Online
- Digimap: Environment
- Digimap: Historic
- Digimap: Ordnance Survey
- Energy Technology Data Exchange and the Energy Database
- Gale OneFile News
- Migration to New Worlds
- Newsstreams Newspapers
- Oxford Reference Online
- ProQuest Central
- UK National Statistics
- SciTech Connect
- UK Data Service Census Support
Useful websites and industry-related sources
Britain from Above - An online archive of aerial photographs dating from 1919 to 2006, charting the changing face of Britain in the 20th century. It includes the largest and most significant number of air photographs of Britain taken before 1939.
Historic England Archive - Search for records and find photographs of England’s archaeology, historic buildings and changing landscapes.
Historic Environment Scotland - Online catalogue to Scotland's archaeology, buildings, industrial and maritime history.
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales - Provides access to details of archaeological sites, monuments, buildings and maritime sites in Wales.
The Energy Archives Network - A comprehensive list of archives and institutions that hold documentation on energy history.
LinkedIn Learning offers over 9,000 professionally produced online courses covering a wide range of technical, creative and professional skills.
Use our institutional link to log in – you will need your University email address and password. The first time that you log in, you will be taken through a setup process to discover courses tailored to your interests.
Some Geography and Environment-type content that you may find useful includes:
Some specialist software can be downloaded for free by registered students from the Student Software Portal.
Browse your reading list
Your tutors select books, articles, videos and other resources for your reading lists and the Library buys them so you don't have to.
Find the lists for your modules in Blackboard, or in Library Search.
APA 6th (Harvard) style is the main referencing style in use at the University. We've compiled an easy to follow list of guidebooks and examples to help you get to grips with complexities of referencing.
Newspapers are a valuable source of information. They provide insight into what interests and concerns people both now and in the past.
The Library provides some excellent newspaper sources that allow you to search simply and easily across many newspapers at once.
Dissertations and Theses
During the course of your studies, you may find that you need to search for dissertations or theses.
You can use Library Search to help you find them and there are a number of different ways to search, depending on what you want to find.
Book a one to one
If you’ve tried our eLearning and classroom sessions and need more help, you can request a one to one appointment for information finding, academic and writing or digital skills. Select your chosen time slot and book on through Advantage.
Book on a workshop
We offer a wide range of face-to-face skills training. If you need to improve your IT skills, learn how to find information for your assignments or improve your study skills this is a great place to start.
All workshops are bookable through Advantage by clicking on the workshop title. Where a session has no remaining spaces you can add yourself to the waiting list.
- Starts: 11 Aug 2021, 2:00 pmFinishes: 11 Aug 2021, 3:15 pmRemaining places: 47Learn how to cope with failure in this friendly and supportive session.
- Starts: 5 Aug 2021, 4:00 pmFinishes: 5 Aug 2021, 5:00 pmVenue: MOS Exam - Certiport exam providerRemaining places: 9This is an online EXAM SESSION for Microsoft Office Specialist certification. When booking you MUST have registered on the MOS programme AND scored 70% plus in GMetrix's 'Testing' mode in your chosen application. Bookings not meeting this criteria will be cancelled. Bookings open now.
- Starts: 10 Aug 2021, 4:00 pmFinishes: 10 Aug 2021, 5:00 pmVenue: MOS Exam - Certiport exam providerRemaining places: 9This is an online EXAM SESSION for Microsoft Office Specialist certification. When booking you MUST have registered on the MOS programme AND scored 70% plus in GMetrix's 'Testing' mode in your chosen application. Bookings not meeting this criteria will be cancelled. Bookings open now.
- Starts: 25 Aug 2021, 5:00 pmFinishes: 25 Aug 2021, 6:00 pmVenue: MOS Exam - Certiport exam providerRemaining places: 10This is an online EXAM SESSION for Microsoft Office Specialist certification. When booking you MUST have registered on the MOS programme AND scored 70% plus in GMetrix's 'Testing' mode in your chosen application. Bookings not meeting this criteria will be cancelled. Bookings open 4 August.