Settling in and making connections
University isn’t just about studying. It’s the time to make connections and develop your personal skills. It's OK to be nervous - that's normal. No matter how you’re feeling, there are some ways you can ease into this aspect university life.
Join the Scavenger Hunt
Our Scavenger Hunt is a great way to get familiar with our support services and campuses. It's also a pretty good opportunity to make friends: you can do this along with your new flat / coursemates. It's also a good one to do by yourself if you prefer to fly solo. Don't worry if you're a distance learner, we have a version specifically for you.
We're also giving everyone who enters (and answers most of the questions correctly) a chance to win a range of prizes including £100 and £50 Inspire credit, Salfood vouchers and University of Salford merchandise.
The Scavenger Hunt will open on Thursday 14 September. To complete the Scavenger Hunt you need to head to our Salford Scavenger Hunt page and complete the online form by midnight at the end of Sunday 1 October 2023.
Get involved in Welcome Week
Welcome Week (Monday 11 to Friday 15 September 2023) is filled with events to help you get familiar with our services and teams alongside giving you the chance to try something new and meet other students.
Some highlights you can expect from this year's lineup are live performances in Chapman Square from secret headliners, singers, dancers and comedians, a variety of stalls (delicious food and freebies included!) and the Students’ Union's Welcome Fair.
There's something for all student groups too! Here are some examples:
- Mature students' lunch
- Students with families' coffee morning and focus group
- International music and food festival
- LGBTQIA+ Salford Trans and Non-Binary Forum
- Zine workshop for student carers
Other ways to make connections
Meeting new people and making friends doesn’t end at Welcome. There are lots of ways you can make connections throughout the academic year including:
- Downloading the Umii app to connect with students who have the same interests, similar course types and societies as you
- Checking the Student Hub weekly for the latest events and opportunities
- Joining a society (or starting your own!)
- Spending time in student spaces across campus. We have lots of places where you can relax between classes, study, meet with friends and grab lunch
- New international student events each month for you to connect with students from across the world