Other types of visa

Information for other types of visas like short term study, dependent, visitor visas and more.

Short Term Study Visa

The Short Term Study visa allows you to enter the UK and study for a period of up to six months.  It is much cheaper to arrange than a Tier 4 visa and does not have the volume or complexity of regulations that a Tier 4 visa has. You can see a full list of visa conditions for a Short Term Study visa here.  

Please note

  • A Short Term Study visa can only be applied for outside of the UK;
  • They are generally restricted to 6 months;
  • They cannot be extended;
  • They prohibit work (paid or unpaid);
  • If you study at the University on a Short Term Study Visa, you are required to leave the UK no later than 30 days after you complete your course.

You are eligible for a Short Term Study visa if:

  • you are currently studying, or have been offered a place, on a programme of study at the University
  • you can show evidence that you can support yourself financially (this includes accommodation, food and utility bills, and transport costs) whilst studying at the University
  • you have evidence of, or can show evidence that you can pay for, your departure flight from the UK

Please see here for a full list of documents that you will need to provide.  These will be dependent upon your circumstances and therefore differ from student to student.

The below list is not exhaustive but will apply to the majority of applicants for the Short Term Study visa:

  • a current passport (or other valid travel identification)
  • evidence that you can support yourself during your trip, e.g. bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months
  • details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans (you should not pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa)
  • your tuberculosis (TB) test results if you are from a country where you have to take the test
  • proof of the course you are studying, e.g. a letter of acceptance from the educational institution or a proof of study letter
  • previous study, e.g. academic certificates, references or transcripts
  • English language qualifications, e.g. certificates or awards
  • financial sponsor’s occupation, income, savings or funds that will support your studies

Please note: If you are under 18 years old there are additional requirements in order to successfully apply for the Short Term Study visa. 

You must apply for the Short Term Study visa online here.  

Please note: you must have left the UK before applying for a Short Term Study visa.  If you make the application from inside the UK it will be refused.

Tier 4 dependent visa

Some Tier 4 students can bring family with them to the UK as their dependents. However, eligibility to bring a dependent will depend on your level of study and your relationship to that person. You should read the guidance before making a dependent visa application.

You are eligible to bring dependents with you to the UK if:

  • you are financially sponsored by your government and your course is longer than six months, or
  • you are completing a Postgraduate level course of 9 months or more, or
  • your most recent immigration permission was as a Tier 4 (General) student and you were studying a course for longer than six months. In this case all of the following conditions must apply:
    • your current immigration permission is still valid or did not expire more than three months before the date of your new application and
    • your new immigration application is for a course of study lasting six months or more and
    • your dependent already has immigration permission as a Tier 4 dependent (or it is the most recent immigration permission that they had and it expired no more than three months before this application) and
    • you apply for immigration permission at the same time as your dependent.

In general, your partner and your children can be your dependents. Parents, brothers, sisters or any other relatives are not classed as dependents. The definition of who can be classed as your ‘partner’ or ‘child’ for immigration purposes is dependent on a number of factors. For more information, please see here.

Applying outside the UK

If your dependents are applying for entry clearance, i.e. they are applying outside of the UK¸ then each dependent must complete a separate application form and pay the fee online.  Applications can be made online by clicking here.  

If the application is successful, your dependents will receive a temporary visa which will be placed in their passport. The visa will last for 30 days to allow them to enter the UK and then collect a Biometric Residency Permit (BRP) that will cover them for the remainder of their stay. They will also receive a letter that they will need to keep detailing where to collect their BRP.  

Please note: if you make the entry clearance application at the same time as your dependents, you must select a local UK Post Office from which to collect your dependent’s BRPs because they cannot be delivered to the University.

Applying inside the UK

If your dependents are applying from within the UK there are strict regulations surrounding switching from alternative immigration categories into a dependent category. Your dependent can apply to extend their stay from inside the UK, as long as their latest immigration status was not:

  • as a visitor or
  • with a Republic of Ireland (Éire) visa endorsed ‘BIVS’ or
  • as a short term student or short term student (child) or
  • as a parent of a Tier 4 (child) or
  • given to them by immigration authorities as ‘Temporary Admission’ or ‘Temporary Release’ in the UK.

The application is normally completed online and there are three main routes by which your dependents can apply whilst in the UK:

  • if you are applying at the same time as your dependent then you will need to include your dependent’s details on your Tier 4 application. You can access the online application form by clicking here
  • if your dependent partner is applying later than you then the online application form can be accessed by clicking here
  • if your dependent child is applying later than you then the online application form can be accessed by clicking here.

Each dependent must be able to provide evidence that they are able to maintain themselves (or be maintained by you) during their stay in the UK. As part of either your Tier 4 application or a dependent application (where your dependents are applying separately), evidence of these funds will need to be submitted with the application.

In most cases the evidence you submit will be a bank or building society statement showing that the relevant money has been held for a period of 28 consecutive days. The amounts you are required to show and forms of acceptable documents that can be submitted with the visa application are detailed in the Points Based System (Dependent) Policy Guidance. You can access this information by clicking here.

Children born inside the United Kingdom

If you are a Tier 4 visa holder and you are pregnant it is important that you talk to us as soon as possible.  You will need to review the academic options available to you as well as discuss the immigration implications surrounding your pregnancy.

If you need to interrupt your studies you would normally be required to leave the UK with any dependents and then apply for new entry clearance before you return to study. For more information regarding taking a break in study please see here.

A child born in the UK can legally live here without making an immigration application. However, if you leave the UK with a child born in the UK you must apply for entry clearance in order for them to re-enter the UK because birth in the UK does not automatically entitle a child to British Citizenship.  When making a dependent visa application the same rules apply to a child born in the UK as they do to any other dependent children you may have.


    Standard visitor visa

    If you (and your friends and family) wish to come to the UK to attend graduation, you will each need to apply for a ‘Standard Visitor visa’. Please note: in the majority of circumstances, visits of more than six months in any 12- month period are not allowed.

    To find out if you need a visa to travel to the UK and how to apply please see here. You will be eligible for a standard visitor visa if you can demonstrate to the entry clearance officer that you meet the following criteria.

    The application

    Please see here for a full list of documents that you will need to provide.  These will be dependent upon your circumstances.

    As part of your application you will need to provide:

    • a letter stating that you are eligible to attend graduation.  You can order this letter from here.
    • a letter inviting your family and friends to the UK for your graduation.  You should write this for your family and friends to support their visa application.  We have provided an invitation letter template that you may wish to use.

    Please note: you must make sure that your contact details are up-to-date before requesting the letter.  This will ensure that the University posts your letter to the correct address.

    You need to fill in the 'Standard Visitor visa' application form here. You will need to make an appointment to submit your application, your supporting documents and to submit your biometric information (fingerprints and photograph).

    Sanctuary and asylum seekers

    The Asylum process is designed to help those who are in need of protection due to persecution because of race, religion, nationality or membership of a particular social group or political opinion.

    Tier 5 visa

    The Tier 5 visa allows you to live and work in the UK for a limited period of time (up to 24 months). Tier 5 requires a Tier 5 sponsor, most students cannot apply in the UK and it does not lead to settlement.  

    There are two types of Tier 5 visa (‘Youth Mobility’ and ‘Temporary Worker’).  Unfortunately, our team are not able to advise on Tier 5 visas. To find more information, we recommend you look at the webpages below.

    Schengen visa

    If you are not a European Economic Area (EEA) national and would like to travel in Europe, you may need to apply for a Schengen visa before you travel. With a Schengen visa, you may enter one European country and travel freely throughout the Schengen zone.

    Countries constituting the Schengen area

    You will be charged a non-refundable fee for issuing a visa. Schengen visas currently cost €60. Visas are typically stamped or attached into your passport.

    Visas can be single-entry, which means the visa is cancelled as soon as you leave the country, or multiple-entry, permitting multiple entries into the country with the same visa. Please note you cannot apply for a new Schengen visa whilst another one is still valid.

    A Schengen visa issued by an Embassy or Consulate of the listed Schengen countries allows the holder to travel freely in all of these countries. However, if you are travelling to more than one country, you may be required to hold a return ticket for some countries or other proof of onward travel –pleasecheck the requirements of the country you are applying to before you purchase your return travel ticket.

    • If you intend to visit only one Schengen country, you must apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of that country.
    • If you intend to visit several Schengen countries without having a main destination, you should apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the first country of entry.
    • If you intend to visit several Schengen countries, with one country being your main destination (i.e. you intend to stay in a particular country for more time than the others), then you must apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the country in which your main destination is situated.

    Your stay is limited to 90 days within any 6 month period.The Schengen Agreement applies only to those specific countries who signed to the Agreement within the EU and EEA – the Schengen Agreement is not specific to all European Member countries but only to those listed in the ‘Participatingcountries’section.

    The general principles of the Schengen application are the same across all of the member countries of the Schengen area. However the steps you need to take (the application process to apply to each country) are not uniform and differ to varying degrees.

    Applying for a Schengen visa

    Please be very aware of the actual application process for the country or countries you wish to visit but you can use the below as a guide or checklist of the stages you will need to fulfill before your Schengen visa application can be issued with a decision.

    1. Complete the Schengen visa application form

    Some countries have the form available as a PDF file which you can download and complete. Some countries do not have the form available like this and you have to type your answers directly onto the Embassy website. When you have completed each screen your answers will then be populated into the formforassessment.

    2. Book a visa appointment

    When you have filled out the Schengen visa application form, you will need to book a meeting at the Embassy of the country you are visiting to have the application processed. Some of the Schengen countries use private companies to process your application (such as VFS or TLS) this is a popular methodandshouldnot cause you any concern. Alternatively some countries manage the processing of your visa application themselves. The contact details you need to use to book an appointment are mostly listed on the Embassy website of each country. Where some countries use their own step-by-step online applicationsystemtocomplete the application form, the method to book the appointments will be supplied during the application process.

    3. Attend a visa Appointment

    When you need to attend your visa application appointment, please be aware that you may need to travel to the Embassy of the Schengen country you wish to visit. All Schengen countries have offices in London but some have additional ones located elsewhere around the UK, for example in Manchester or Edinburgh.Youwillneed to attend an appointment in person to submit the application form, visa processing fee and supporting documents. Please be aware that the documents you need to submit differ depending on the country you are applying to, and the length and purpose of your visit. It is therefore advisableto collectandtake as many documents as you have for your Schengen visa appointment. If you are unsure of what the document requirements are, they will be stated on the website of the country you wish to visit or as part of the online application you have made for the Schengen visa. It is importantthat each applicantattendsin person, it is not acceptable for anyone other than yourself to attend the visa appointment on your behalf.

    4. Next steps

    The Embassies typically take 15 days to process your Schengen visa decision, but as with any other visa application this can vary considerably and you should not book travel tickets or accommodation based on this guideline. Certain variations in visa applications can take longer than the normal processingtimeframe so you should plan accordingly.

    Please see the UKCISA webpage for additional information about the Schengen visa application process which you may find useful.


    Non-Schengen Visas

    If you intend to visit countries which are not listed in the ‘Participating countries’ section, you will be required to apply to each individual country you wish to visit. You should also note that if you are planning a trip which includes one or more countries listed in the Schengen agreement and a country which is not listed, you will need to apply to one of the Schengen countries and also to the Embassy of other country/countries you will be visiting.

    For example, if you were planning to visit France, Germany, Spain and Ireland you would have to apply for two visas as follows: A Schengen visa for France, Germany or Spain PLUS A tourist visa for Ireland.