Skip to main content

Living costs

Salford and Manchester can be relatively budget friendly areas to live allowing students to enjoy some of the cheapest public transport costs in the UK as well as great offers on social activities and plenty of choice when it comes to filling your food cupboards. This is due to the large student population in the Greater Manchester area which means businesses are constantly offering promotions and sales in an attempt to secure your custom.

The estimated annual living costs are between £7,624 and £9,545 but obviously your annual spend will depend greatly on your personal preferences as well as your ability to budget wisely. Travel costs will be higher for those who commute further to study however this may average out through cheaper rent costs or by staying in the family home.

Shopping around always pays off, this applies to most things including your accommodation. Always check the small print before signing any contracts and be sure to know exactly what is included for the price. Cheap rent costs and managing the utility bills yourself may actually work out more pricey than paying for fully inclusive accommodation.

Shop smart! Try buying non-branded products or creating a menu plan before you go grocery shopping so that you are not wasting money of things you are not going to use. Speak with your house mates and put together a kitty for shared items such as cleaning products and toilet roll rather than all buying your own.

The charts below will give you an idea of what the average student spends per week and per academic year while studying.

Average weekly costs graph

Average annual costs graph

* Average Annual Cost based on 42 weeks – usual student contract

** Other includes utility bills, mobile phone bill, tv licence, social costs

Receiving Money

Please do not transfer money to the University to cover your living expenses or accommodation costs. Due to money laundering regulations the University will only be able to refund money back to the account it came from, including overseas accounts. Any sponsor who is paying for your living expenses as well as tuition fees will need to pay the living expenses directly to you.

Council Tax

All full time students are exempt from paying council tax. You need to give a council tax exemption certificate to your landlord or local council each academic year. An exemption certificate should be sent to your student email shortly after you register. If you do not receive your certificate you can request one online.

All part time students do not qualify for council tax exemption regardless of the hours studied on the course.

Television Licence

If you are in a short hold tenancy (i.e. with a private landlord) one television licence will cover the whole property, in university residences each student with a TV will need their own licence. Visit the TV licensing website for more information.

Budgeting at the start of the year will help you to stay on track and not get into debt however if you do fall a little short it is worth having a back up plan. Speak with your bank about switching to a Student Account which often comes with an interest free overdraft for the duration of your study.

Earning Extra Cash

Most students find they need to look for part time work while they are studying. Whlie it may feel like a struggle to try and juggle both study and work there are several benefits to engaging in employment during this time:

  • Extra cash
  • Increases work experience, making you more employable later in life
  • Allows you to increase your knowledge of the working world and gain life experience.

Visit our Careers & Employablility Service who can help you to search for part time work, they also offer workshops on CV improvement, interview techniques and help you to prepare through mock interviews. Check out their webpage here.