Skip to main content
Skip to main content

Incoming Students

Benefits of Study and Work Abroad

Enjoy the opportunity of a lifetime, and boost the skills you are learning by studying or working abroad and expanding your international cultural awareness. You will get a completely new perspective on your studies and maybe even life itself.

For general information about our campus and facilities, and life in Manchester, please visit our Why Salford? page and have a look at our Welcome guide for Exchange Students



The University of Salford comprises the following Schools:

As a visiting student joining the University of Salford for a short term, you will be, in the majority of occasions, allowed to study the same modules that are available to our regular Salford students. However, some Schools may have restrictions in place due to the nature, duration and size of certain classes.

Please find out which course best matches what you are currently studying at your home institution by visiting the relevant School’s website. You will find a list of all courses under the ‘Courses’ tab on each School’s website.

You will be able to view the course details and what modules it consists of by clicking on the name of the specific course. Please note that the majority of Schools update their courses annually, and some modules may change or be no longer available. Furthermore, timetables and class schedules are not released until a few weeks before the start of the semester.

Once you are officially accepted to Salford, we will let you know the name of your Link Tutor who will be able to support you in choosing the right modules and ensure you will be studying at an appropriate level. This will be done in cooperation with your home institution.


British Undergraduate students take a maximum of 120 credits per year. Most modules or course units at undergraduate level are worth 20 or 10 credits.

1 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) credit equals 2 UK credits.

It is important to discuss your course unit choices with your academic advisor at your home university to ensure that the courses you take at Salford are approved for credit transfer.

Language Modules

If you would like to study a language during your time at Salford, we offer the University Wide Language Programme (UWLP). Through this programme, you can choose to learn Arabic, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese and Spanish.

If you would like to know more, or book on to a course, please go to the Salford Languages website, or contact

English for Academic Purposes

We offer a number of extra-curricular courses aimed to help you improve your academic English so that your academic work is of a great quality. The courses are all free of charge and open to students of all levels. For more information, please visit our English for Academic Purposes page.


Studying in the UK might be different to what you are used to in your home country. This is because the UK operates under different education systems and cultures.

Throughout your studies you will experience a variety of teaching methods. Lectures often involve a tutor/lecturer delivering a presentation or talk to a large group of students who are studying the same module/course. Seminars and tutorials are usually delivered in a more informal manner to smaller groups of students. Whilst these are often led by a tutor, the format is more informal and you are usually expected to contribute to the lesson and participate in the discussion. Laboratory and practical learning enable you to apply the skills and concepts you have acquired in a lecture/seminar/tutorial to a real-world situation. These sessions are aimed at giving students an insight into a working environment and a practical understanding of academic material taught on the course.

As a student, you are expected to undertake some independent study outside of your scheduled teaching hours. Although you may only have a few hours of lectures each week, the expectation is that you will use the remainder of the working day to read around your subject, reflect on a recent lecture or work on an assignment you have been given. You will be totally responsible for your own learning and you will need to manage your time effectively. Thankfully, there are lots of resources available to help you make the most of your independent study time, such as our Library Services and Blackboard. You will also be allocated a Link Tutor who will meet with you regularly to discuss your academic progress and give you advice and support if you are struggling with the demands of your course.


The way you are assessed at Salford will depend on what you study. Your courses may be assessed either by coursework or examination, or a combination of both. It will include essays, written examinations, presentations, coursework projects, etc. Most students will be asked to submit their assignments online using Turnitin, an e-submission tool available through Blackboard. The university has strict guidelines around the late submission of work. It is important that you submit your assignments on time or you will lose marks for that assessment. In your assignments you must ensure that any quotes, ideas, research or designs taken from other sources gives proper credit to the original author and/or publication. To do this you need to reference your work properly. Most courses require that you use the Harvard (APA 6th) referencing standard (there might be some exceptions). This will reduce the likelihood of you being accused of plagiarism. For more information, please visit our ‘Referencing and Plagiarism’ page.

You will find out more about how we expect you to submit and reference your assignments when you attend your school’s induction programme before the start of term.

We have two library sites and several library spaces across our campus.

Our main library, Clifford Whitworth, is currently being refurbished. The first phase has been completed, with our first and second floors fully refurbished and offering bright, modern, technology enabled study areas with a variety of attractive work spaces. The second phase began in June 2017. You can find out more about the work on the library’s blog. Our second library is located at MediaCityUK.

As a student of the University of Salford, you will be provided access to a wide range of resources for research and learning. Our Library Search allows access to all our academic resources from a single interface, including more than 348,000 books, 33,000 e-journals and 592,000 e-books and several special collections and archives.

More than 700 PCs are provided and 240 laptops are available for loan. Our printing system enables you to send your print work from a range of devices, whether on or off campus, and collect it from any printer on campus.

Our staff are available to assist you with using our services, and our online instant messaging service is another source of help when you need it.

For more information, please visit our Library website.

Important Information

One of the decisions you will have to make before your arrival is whether you would like to live on or off campus. Below you can find more details about your options.

Living on campus

There are two accommodation villages for you to choose from, Peel Park Quarter and Eddie Colman and John Lester Court. These are both provided by Campus Living Villages and referred to as ‘Salford Student Village’.

Centrally located on our Peel Park campus, Peel Park Quarter accommodations provide 1,367 en-suite bedrooms each with a double bed.

Eddie Colman and John Lester Court’s flats are located across the road from Frederick Road campus and are also the closest halls of residence to MediaCityUK. They are therefore an ideal choice for those studying nursing, healthcare and media related courses. However, being just a short five-minute walk from the main Peel Park campus also makes it a popular site for students of all courses.

For more information and bookings:



-Contact: +44 (0)161 667 5010 (Peel Park Quarter); +44 (0)161 669 5750 (John Lester and Eddie Colman Courts)

Please note that accommodation on campus is not guaranteed for all visiting students due to very high demand.

Please note that you will only be able to apply for student accommodation once you have been officially accepted and provided with an acceptance letter containing your student ID.

Living off campus

If you are thinking of living off campus and renting privately, we recommend using landlords that are accredited by Manchester Student Homes.

Please bear in mind that Manchester is home to the largest student population in Europe and the housing market becomes very busy around September/October time. Therefore, we highly recommend looking for suitable accommodation as soon as possible.

The estimated cost for short-term private accommodation is £120-£170 per person per week. Landlords prefer to rent out their properties for twelve months and will attempt to secure long-term tenants for their properties before the beginning of the academic year. The majority of single semester accommodation offered will be in shared student houses.

We strongly advise you not to sign a contract or pay any money until you have viewed the property in person.

For more information:



-Contact: +44 (0)161 275 7680

Please be aware that if you are a non-EU student you might be required to provide details of a UK guarantor who will commit to pay your rent if you are not able to. If you do not have a UK guarantor, you might be asked to pay the whole rent amount for your stay in advance.

If you require temporary accommodation so that you have a convenient place to stay whilst searching for permanent accommodation, please visit the ‘Hotels, Hostels & Serviced Apartments Directory’.

If you are an EU/EEA/Swiss national, you need a full passport or valid national ID card in order to enter the UK.  It is highly advisable that your passport and visa are valid for the full duration of your study abroad period as this will make your initial visa application process swifter if your current passport covers the full duration.  If your passport and/or visa are due to expire while you are with us, you will then be responsible for having to extend your immigration documents whilst in the UK and in some instances, you may have to leave the UK in order to do this.  This will add complications, time and expense to your study abroad period if this happens so please consider this carefully.

All other students, i.e. non-EU/EEA/Swiss need a visa to study in the United Kingdom. If you are studying in Salford for up to 6 months, you have to apply for a Short-Term Study visa. If you are staying for the full academic year, you have to apply for the Tier 4 Student visa.

As the Study Abroad and Exchanges Team are unable to provide individual visa and immigration advice, we would highly recommend that if you are unsure of what type of visa you need to apply for and what documents you need in order to do so, please visit the Gov.UK website.

If you are a non-EU student, you must adhere to the University's international document requirements, which are as follows:

If you are applying for a Tier 4 Visa, you are required to provide us with the International English Language Testing System for United Kingdom Visas and Immigration (IELTS for UKVI or SELT) Certificate.  This is relevant for NQF level 3 programmes only.  If you wish to join a programme of NQF Level 6 or above, students must demonstrate their English Language ability in a variety of ways such as the Non-UKVI IELTS certificate, or previous qualifications taught in a majority English speaking country for example.

Please visit to find out more information.

If you are applying for a Short-Term Study Visa, you do not need a UKVI IELTS certificate for visa purposes. However, we might ask you to provide a valid English Language certification in order to ensure that your language level reflects the expected standard.  

It is important to note that if you are intending to leave the UK for a holiday or to go home, regardless of the visa you are here with, you are required to inform us as well as the Home Office Compliance Team otherwise your study abroad period could be compromised.

For more information, please visit our AskUS website.

The Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) requires all international students subject to existing UK immigration permissions, who are applying to study for a postgraduate qualification in certain sensitive subjects, knowledge of which could be used in programmes to develop weapons of mass destruction (WMDs) or their means of delivery, to apply for an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate before they can study in the UK.

The requirement for an ATAS certificate applies to all students whose nationality is outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, irrespective of country of residence at the point of application. You need an ATAS certificate if you are an international student applying to study for a postgraduate qualification in the UK.

The Entry Clearance Officer (ECO) will ask to see your ATAS certificate as part of your visa application process.

For more information, please visit

Please note that once you have completed your studies with the University of Salford and leave the UK to return home we will need to see evidence of this. Please send an email to with

- A scan of your flight ticket to your home country;

- A scan of either your boarding card, your eGate receipt or the entry stamp to your home country (showing the full page of your passport).

Queuing: queuing is a unique part of the British culture. People here queue for trains, buses, shops, toilets and, in some occasions, to enter a room for a lecture or a meeting. It is advisable to take your place in the queue and not try to muscle your way to the front as this would not be respectful towards the other people in the queue.

Tipping: tipping is not expected in the UK, but is much appreciated. It is not necessary to tip in taxis, but it is polite to round up to the nearest pound on metered taxi journeys. It is also common to leave a tip to waiting on staff in restaurants and bars if they have provided a good service. This usually equals 10% of the total bill. Some restaurants add on a discretionary service charge to bills, especially for parties or big groups. This is usually noted in the menu. If you are unhappy with the service you can ask for it to be removed or pay only part of it. If a service charge has been added onto your bill, you should not add any further tip.

Timekeeping: British people are generally punctual and being late is seen as bad mannered. If you are late or have to cancel an appointment, inform the person you are meeting and offer your apologies. Always plan your journey in advance so you can arrive five minutes early for classes and take a seat before the actual start.

Small talk: it is impolite to ask people personal details about their age, political beliefs or salary unless you have known them for a long time and you are friends. Until then, you can start a conversation by using subjects like the weather, your plans for the weekend, or things happening in the area around you.

Doors: it is polite to hold doors open for the person coming behind you when walking through a door.

Please, thank you and sorry: British people say these words a lot! If you accidentally bump into someone, say ‘sorry’. They probably will too, even if it was your fault! This is a habit and can be seen as amusing by an ‘outsider’. British people also say ‘cheers’ instead of thank you sometimes. You may also hear ‘cheers’ instead of ‘goodbye’. What they are saying to you is ‘thanks and bye’.

Things to remember:

  • It is impolite to stare at people in public places;
  • Spitting in the street is considered to be very bad mannered and illegal, subject to a fine;
  • Most members of the British public will happily provide you with directions if you approach them politely;
  • When invited to someone’s home, it is nice to take along a small gift, for example a box of chocolates or a bottle of wine;
  • Gifts are opened when received.

Nomination deadlines

  • Full academic year – 1 April
  • Trimester 1 – 1 April
  • Trimester 2 – 15 October

Application deadlines

  • Full academic year – 1 May
  • Trimester 1 – 1 May
  • Trimester 2 – 1 November

For the academic year dates, please see the University's Almanac.

You will be covered by the University's public liability insurance during your time in Salford. You will need to arrange for travel insurance which should include health and accident insurance. It may be that your host institution provides certain types of insurance cover for you during your time abroad so we strongly recommend that you check with them before you travel.

If you are an EEA national you will have free access to most healthcare but should obtain an EHIC before you travel to the UK. Some medical services such as prescriptions may incur a charge. If you are from outside of the EEA and coming to the UK for 6 months or more it is likely that you will be charged an NHS surcharge as part of your Tier 4 visa application. This will give you free access to the NHS. For more information please see our International Student webpages.

Emergency numbers in the UK

999 – This is the emergency number for police, ambulance, fire brigade, coastguard, cliff rescue, mountain rescue, cave rescue, etc. Note the important word ‘EMERGENCY’. This number should be used only when urgent attendance by the emergency services is required, for example someoneis seriously ill or injured, or a crime is in progress.

Calls are free, and 999 can be dialled from a locked mobile phone.

101 – This is the number to call if you want to report a crime to the police but it’s not an emergency. You can call the non-emergency number for vandalism, noisy neighbours, threatening and abusive behaviour, drunk or rowdy behaviour in public places, drug-related anti-social behaviouretc.

Support on campus

All incoming students have access to and use of our on-campus facilities and support. If you require support at any point of time at the University, we recommend you look at the services our askUS team provide.

If you have a disability and will require support to travel from your local accommodation to the campus, access the teaching environments or support to engage in your studies - for example, interpreters, sighted guides, support tutors, adapted accommodation - we ask that you let us know about your disability. It is important that you make us aware of your support needs at the nomination stage, so that we can advise you on the availability of support, facilities and funding arrangements, before you make arrangements to travel. You can get in touch with the Disability & Learner Support to discuss any requirements.

Crisis Support

The University has a page dedicated to any support you may require in the event of a crisis - Crisis Support - while you are studying at our campus.

Useful links

Contact the Study Abroad and Exchanges Team