Your Second Year
Developing greater self-awareness and understanding of your individual study preferences, behaviours and experiences shape your learning and professional development. That is why we have introduced Skills for Success in your Second Year.
What is Skills for Success in your Second Year?
This content will help you to understand the shift in approaches and expectations required to meet the demands of studying at level 5 as well as helping you to be more analytical and critical within your studies.
It builds on Academic Essentials, our interactive online eLearning content designed to develop the core skills you need to be successful in your first year. If you haven’t completed this yet you can access Academic Essentials here.
To get the most out of the Skills for Success resources we recommend you create your own action plan.
Create your action plan
Reflect upon your first year, identify what went well and what you would differently during your second year.
Identify what academic skills gaps you have and which eLearning or workshops you could study to help you develop the skills you need in the areas you identify.
Set yourself a timescale for completing your chosen eLearning or booking on an attending relevant workshops.
To help you take these steps you can:
- Attend a skills for success in your second year workshop.
- Complete the Academic skills and study habits self assessment.
- Complete relevant eLearning.
- Attend bookable workshops.
Book onto one of our 'Skills for Success in your Second Year' workshops. They are FREE to attend for all students.
Complete relevant eLearning. You can browse the topics below or, to help you decide what to focus on you can complete the Academic skills and study habits self assessment.
Understanding your assessments
Approaching your assessments
Academic Integrity and Referencing
- Academic information and why it is important [10 mins]
- Module reading lists and how they can help with assessments [10 mins]
- Planning your search for academic information [15 mins]
- Search the web well for University work [15 mins]
- How to use Library Search to find academic information to use in your assessments [15 mins]
- Lean Library: access academic information easily on the web
- Using databases to find academic information
- Read, take notes and use academic information in your assessments [10 mins
Personal and professional skills
- Developing your confidence for studying at University
- Staying motivated for your studies
- Using reflection to develop yourself as a learner
- Creating your CV
- Dealing with change
- Effective group working
- Online group working
- Overcoming perfectionism
- Overcoming procrastination
- Professional communication
- Using Microsoft Word to format your essay
- How to benefit from feedback [20 mins]
Book onto our 'Develop your Skills' workshops. They are FREE to attend for all students.
- Starts: 29 Nov 2023, 1:00 pmFinishes: 29 Nov 2023, 2:00 pmThis workshop is for anybody who needs to take an exam, and will cover effective revision techniques, and how to plan a revision timetable. There will also be the opportunity to ask your specific questions about effective revision and exam preparation.
- Starts: 30 Nov 2023, 1:00 pmFinishes: 30 Nov 2023, 2:00 pmVenue: Peel Park Campus, Clifford Whitworth University Library, CW Collaboration Space 1+ 2 (R1.15)Remaining places: 37In this workshop we will explore practical tips to stay motivated and overcome procrastination. You will learn proven techniques to manage your time effectively and set achievable goals. Don't miss this opportunity to kickstart your academic journey with confidence! This workshop takes place on campus.
- Starts: 4 Dec 2023, 1:00 pmFinishes: 4 Dec 2023, 2:00 pmRemaining places: 33In this workshop we will cover some of the common referencing errors people make and discuss how to avoid them in our work. This workshop includes a question-and-answer section where you can ask specific referencing questions. This workshop is online.
- Starts: 6 Dec 2023, 12:00 pmFinishes: 6 Dec 2023, 1:00 pmRemaining places: 45This one-hour webinar will introduce you to our free Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) programme which allows you prove your Microsoft Office IT skills to potential employers, by studying for and sitting Microsoft certified exams in a range of Microsoft Office applications. This webinar is online.
- Starts: 8 Dec 2023, 3:00 pmFinishes: 8 Dec 2023, 4:00 pmVenue: Frederick Road Campus, Allerton, C811Remaining places: 10This one-hour EXAM SESSION for MOS certification takes place ON CAMPUS. At the time of booking, you must have scored over 70% in GMetrix's 'Testing' mode for your chosen application. Bookings not meeting this criterion will be cancelled.
- Starts: 26 Jan 2024, 3:00 pmFinishes: 26 Jan 2024, 4:00 pmVenue: Frederick Road Campus, Allerton, C811Remaining places: 10This one-hour EXAM SESSION for MOS certification takes place ON CAMPUS. At the time of booking, you must have scored over 70% in GMetrix's 'Testing' mode for your chosen application. Bookings not meeting this criterion will be cancelled.