Salfood - Environment and Sustainability
OUR COMMITMENT TO BE MORE SUSTAINABLE
From 1st March 2019, we will have the following policies in place:
- We will replace all plastic cutlery items with wooden alternatives.
- All disposable polystyrene takeaway boxes will be replaced with recyclable cardboard versions.
- All plastic straws will soon be replaced with paper ones (unless drink comes with a straw – i.e. slush. Salfood outlets only, excludes Subway).
- We will have reusable mugs available to buy from Salfood Costa & Starbucks outlets.
- £3.99 for a Costa mug
- £1.20 for a Starbucks cup
- We will continue to offer customers 20p off their hot or cold beverage if they bring their own mug or cup.
- Free waste coffee grounds are going to be available for customers to take away for their own use from Crescent Café.
- The tea and coffee used for the majority of Hospitality events are either Fairtrade or Rainforest Alliance (excludes Nescafe sachets).
- Our Costa coffee outlets only use beans sourced from Rainforest Alliance Certified farms. Starbucks coffee is 100% Fairtrade Certified.
- All of our bananas are 100% fairtrade.
Our aims and responsibilities
Our aim is to grow sustainably to add long term value to our customers and our business.
Our Corporate Responsibility plan allows us to not only minimise our business risks but also positively influence our society, our environment and our economy.
We donate a percentage of our Fairtrade sales to EATFAIR – our Compass-founded Fairtrade Foundation supporting coffee farmers and their families in developing countries. All our bananas are Fairtrade!
We do not use any fish from the Marine Conservation Society (MCS) 'Fish to Avoid' list; all our fish comes from well-managed marine sources.
We do not buy products that don’t adhere to the ‘Five Freedoms’ concept proposed by the Farm Animal Welfare Council (FAWS) on the protection of animals kept for farming purposes.
By switching from using butter to Flora Buttery we have removed 45 tonnes of saturated fat and 100 million calories from our recipes.