Dr. Yingchun Ji
School of Science, Engineering and Environment
Reader in Building Physics and Performance Modelling
Dr Yingchun Ji is a Reader in building physics and performance modelling, completed his PhD in 2005 in building physics at De Montfort University, and joined University of Salford in 2010 as a Lecturer.
His research activities after his PhD focused on Natural Ventilation, Hybrid (mixed mode) Ventilation in buildings, Low energy/carbon building design & consultancy, building refurbishment, and energy modelling. More recent research development at Salford also includes building overheating assessment, natural convection in air cavities, thermal comfort, historical weather data analysis, and the verification of current standard weather datasets using various building models.
Yingchun published widely in high impact academic journals within built environment disciplines – the quality of these research publications has been recognised as RAE/REF returnable consistently, i.e. RAE2008 – 2 outputs submitted as a research fellow; REF2014 – 4 outputs submitted as an early career researcher; REF2021 – 5 outputs submitted. Yingchun supervised 8 PhD candidates to successful completion at Salford since 2015 and the successful research funding projects (as PI and Co-I) since 2017 brought £290K grant income.
Yingchun is a Charted Engineer, a full Member of CIBSE (the Charted Institution of Building Services Engineers).
Areas of research
Natural ventilation, dynamic thermal simulation, computational fluid dynamics, building energy, weather data
Areas of supervision
Natural and hybrid ventilation design and modelling, dynamic thermal modelling of buildings (energy; thermal comfort; adaptation), low carbon building design and consultancy, building retrofit, zero carbon technologies, standard weather data
Currently leading the following modules:
- Sustainable Design and Construction (Level 6)
- Virtual Environment (Level 6)
- Sustainable Design Theory & Practice (Level 7)
- Dissertation (Level 7)
- Natural and hybrid ventilation design and modelling
- Dynamic thermal modelling of buildings
- Low carbon building design and consultancy
- Building retrofit
- Standard Weather Data
- Computational Fluid Dynamics Modelling of Building Applications
- BSc in Engineering of Refrigeration and Cryogenics (Distinction) -1997
- PhD in Building Physics - 2005
- PGCert - Higher Education Teaching & Learning in Academic Practices - 2012
- Member of CIB (International Council for Research & Innovation in Building and Construction) since 2015
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA) since 2012
- Member of the Charted Institution of Building Service Engineer (MCIBSE) since 2009
- Charted Engineer (CEng) since 2009
- Editor-in-Chief - Journal of Architecture and Design Review, EnPress Publisher, since 2018.
- Editorial team member - Big Data & Cloud Innovation Journal, Whioce Publishing PTE Ltd, since 2017