Dr. Yeliz Prior
School of Health and Society
Senior Research Fellow & Programme Lead EPSRC CDT MSc Prosthetic & Orthotic Science
Yeliz is an HCPC registered Occupational Therapist and a mixed-methods researcher with experience in qualitative and quantitative methodologies. Yeliz gained her BSc (Hons) in Occupational Therapy from the University of Salford, prior to her Ph.D. titled “An Epidemiological Study of Self-Care Restriction and Joint Pain in Community-Dwelling Older Adults” from the Primary Care & Health Sciences, Keele University. Later, she has also completed postgraduate certificates in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy, and Teaching in Academic Practice [PGCAP].
To date, Yeliz has successfully delivered a number of multi-centre RCTs, large observational surveys and qualitative studies supported by funders such as the NIHR, Versus Arthritis, MRC, Public Health England and Royal College of Occupational Therapists. Her current research spans from the management of long term-chronic conditions such as rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases, diabetes, foot and ankle rehabilitation, work rehabilitation and the use of digital health technologies and wearables to enable wider access to health information and self-management.
Over the years, Yeliz had delivered in key roles as an Academic Misconduct Lead, Chair of the University level Research Governance Working Group, Member of the School Ethical Approval Panel and the Postgraduate Director of the School of Health and Society at the University of Salford. Currently, Yeliz is the Programme Lead for the taught element of the EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training (CDT) in Prosthetics & Orthotics, Prosthetic and Orthotic Science Programme and supervise research students from wide variety of backgrounds such as rehabilitation, nursing, prosthetics and orthotics, public health and digital health technologies. Yeliz is passionate about combining clinical practice with research, thus continues to practice as an independent therapist and holds an Honorary Clinical Academic contract at the Mid Cheshire NHS Hospitals Foundation Trust to support clinical and research activities.
Alongside her academic and clinical roles, Yeliz contributes to the field of Rheumatology as the Vice-President of the British Society for Rheumatology (BSR) (2020-2022). Yeliz served as a member of the European League Against Rheumatism (EULAR) Scientific Committee (2016-2019) to represent Health Professionals in Rheumatology and continues to involve with EULAR as a member of Task Force Groups and the Chair of the EULAR Work Rehabilitation in RMDs Study Group. Yeliz is also a member of Special Interest Groups such as the OMERACT Foot and Ankle SIG and sits at the Editorial Board of the Rheumatology Advances in Practice Journal published by the Oxford University Press and an Associate Editor at the Frontiers in Digital Health, whilst contributing to a number of peer review scientific journals and funding bodies as an article, studentship/fellowship and grant reviewer.
Areas of research
Upper and Lower Limb Rehabilitation, Self-management, Patient education, Behaviour change, PROMs, Digital-Health technologies, CBT-led therapies
- MSc in Prosthetic and Orthotic Science [Intercalated PhD]
- Fundamentals of Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Health and Vocational Behaviour
- Research Project Applied to Prosthetic and Orthotic Science
Further Teaching Contribution:
- Contemporary Professional Issues in Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Occupational Therapy
- Research Methods
- PGR Training Programme
- Creating Digital Footprint
- Disabilities in daily activities, work and leisure amongst people with rheumatic and musculoskeletal conditions (RMDs).
- Self-management and patient education for people with long term conditions.
- Self-management of pain, fatigue and depression in people with RMDs.
- Work rehabilitation or vocational rehabilitation of people with long-term conditions.
- Self-management in Fibromyalgia.
- Behaviour change.
- Foot and ankle rehabilitation.
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) led interventions.
- Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) for anxiety, depression and stress management.
- Motivational Interviewing (MI) for goal setting and behaviour change interventions.
- Use of digital health technologies (e-health, tele-health, Apps) to enhance health & quality of life outcomes.
- Patient reported outcome measurement (PROMs) development and psychometric testing.
- PhD Epidemiology
- PgCert Academic Practice [PGCAP]
- BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy
- Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Diploma in Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy
- Diploma in Counselling
- HND Business and Information Technologies
- Fellow of Higher Education Agency (FHEA)
- Full Member of Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Full Member of British Society for Rheumatology (BSR)