School of Health and Society
Senior Lecturer Social Work
I am a qualified social worker and psychoanalytic psychotherapist and currently training as a psychoanalytic group practitioner. I have over 30 years of practice and training experience within the Rape crisis movement working to confront all forms of violence against women and girls. I have set up two specific services for Black, Asian and Minoriticised ethnic women and girls. I have expensive experience as a clinical supervisor (for example eating disorders, intensive psychiatric in-patient therapeutic work with adolescents, prisons), I have extensive experience of community education, research and clinical practice with asylum seekers, refugees and issues of migration.
- Trauma and loss
- Research methodology
- Feminism (with specific expertise in Black feminism)
- Psychoanalytic frameworks (theory, practice, supervision in regards to individuals, groups and organizations)
- Identity formation (including applications of theory on voice, position and representation)
- Discrimination and oppression (particularly in regards to detailed critical analysis of how mechanisms of oppression operate)
- Application of critical theory to social work and issues concerning social justice, hierarchy and power.
- Psychoanalysis, group analysis – theory, methodology and practice.
- Textual / intertexual and discourse analysis
- Black Feminist, colonial and critical race theory and methodology including the relationship between theory and activism.
- Deconstructionism including analysis and application of the ideas of thinkers such as: Derrida, Bhabha, Hall,Foucault, Spivak, Barthes and Butler. I am particularly concerned with the application of critical theory in the interrogation of the aporia of voice, positionality, representation, borders and colonization.
- I remain active in issues concerning migration, education as liberation, violence against women and girls and trauma.
- 2013 PhD ‘Declaring the Activism of Black Feminist Theory’
- 1996 Advanced Dip Counselling and Psychotherapy University of Manchester
- 1996 Certificate Psychoanalytic Group analysis (GAN)
- 1992 CQSW Manchester University
- 1989 BA (Oxon) MA (Oxon) Modern History University of Oxford
- HCPC Registration Number: SW99480