Dr. Stuart Porter
School of Health and Society
Lecturer in Physiotherapy
Dr Porter has been teaching since 1996 within Higher Education. His passion is undergraduate education and supporting students. He was winner of the first University award for teaching excellence in 2009. In 2015 and 2016 he was nominated by his students for two University teaching awards - best teacher and best post graduate supervisor. Dr Porter lectures mainly on the full time Physiotherapy undergraduate degree programme. He has written nine books with Elsevier publishers that are now translated into eleven languages. His PhD was in Rheumatology from the University of Central Lancashire. His thesis studied the sero negative rheumatologcial disease of Ankylosing Spondyitis. He is a PhD examiner, expert witness and member of the medico legal association of chartered physiotherapists. He is external examiner for the University of Liverpool's MSC PGDip in Veterinary Physiotherapy and has held external examiner positions at the Univerisites of East London, Liverpool and Bradford. He is a senior fellow of the Higher Education Academy. Prior to working within education, he was a Chartered Physiotherapist within the NHS for 15 years at hospitals achieving Senior I grade. He was also the Physiotherapist to the England Women’s football team for three years. this memorable experience allowed him to represent England working with talented individuals both at home and during tours of countries including France, Denmark, Italy, Iceland, Bulgaria, and the Soviet Union. During the summer months he lectures at Corpus Christi College Cambridge where he is Medical Director of studies to medical students at Corpus Christi College. For more information please see CSP .
Dr Porter's areas of expertise are patient assessment and management, ethics, and physiotherapy management, rheumatology and orthopaedics. He lectures on patient care and management, anatomy, orthopaedics patient assessment, research methods and ethics.
- Student support
- BSc Hons
- Grad Dip Phys
- Cert MHS
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Registered with Health and Care Professions Council
- Chartered Physiotherapist
- Member MedicoLegal association of Chartered Physiotherapists
Academic Awards and Doctoral Contribution
- 2017 Teaching Excellence Award nomination by students.
- 2016 Best Teacher nomination University of Salford Students' Union.
- 2015 Best Teacher nomination University of Salford Students' Union.
- 2015 Post Graduate Supervisor nomination University of Salford Students' Union.
- 2010 nominated for the Times Higher Education Award of Most Innovative Teacher of the Year Professions for outstanding contribution to teaching and the student learning experience.
- 2009 winner of the first ever teaching excellence award for the School of Health Care.