Dr. Sheila Mccormick
School of Arts and Media
Senior Lecturer in Performance, Programme Leader BA Theatre and Performance Practice
To date, my research and teaching interests include Socially Engaged Practice, Applied Theatre, Documentary Theatre and Irish Theatre. With publications in these areas, I have also developed my research to include interests in performance and health, subjects explored in my book Applied Theatre: Creative Ageing (Bloomsbury, Methuen 2017) and in my recent PAR project Death, Dinner and Performance Project: A Study of the Efficacy of Performance to Enhance Conversations Around Death and Dying (2019).
As a member of the International Federation for Theatre Research and The Theatre and Performance Research Association, I regularly contribute papers at these and other national and international conferences and in 2017 co-convened the TaPRA annual conference here at the University of Salford.
Having originally trained as a General Nurse, I went on to study acting at the Arden School of Theatre before later obtaining an MA in Drama at the National University of Ireland, Galway, an M.Phil in Irish Theatre and Film from the Beckett Centre, Trinity College Dublin and a PhD also from the National University of Ireland, Galway. My doctoral thesis explored British and Irish documentary theatre production between 2000 and 2010.
I welcome proposals for PhD study in any of my research areas. Please contact the graduate office for details of PhD schemes.
Areas of research
Performance, Theatre, Political Theatre, Applied Theatre, Performance and Health, Medical Humanities
- Acting Methods 1 (Module Leader)
- Performance in Context (Module Leader)
- Theatre Project
- Practical Research Project
- Theatre and Communities (Module Leader)
MA Contemporary Performance
- Applied Theatre
- Performance and Health
- Political Theatre
- Documentary theatre
- PG Cert. University of Salford
- PhD. National University of Ireland, Galway
- M Phil. Irish Theatre and Film, Beckett School of Drama and Theatre Studies, Trinity College Dublin
- MA Drama and Theatre Studies. National University of Ireland, Galway
- BA Acting Studies. Arden School of Theatre, City College Manchester
- Higher Diploma in General Nursing. National University of Ireland, Galway
- Certificate in General Nursing (RGN). University College Hospital, Galway