School of Health and Society
A Neonatal Nurse for 18 years on both Level 2 and Level Neonatal Units, prior to transferring to the Neonatal Lecturer Post I was a Practice Educator and Band 7 Sister. As a Practice Educator I worked with the "Making it Better" Team throughout the reconfiguration of Neonatal Services within Greater Manchester.
My personal interests include Pain Management (MSc Dissertation explored pain assessment tools for appropriate pain assessment in neonates); Developmental Care: Mental Health Outcome - risks associated to Neonatal Unit care and admission e.g. ADHD, Self-Harm and Suicidality.
I am a trustee for PAPYRUS - A charity for the prevention of young suicide.
- Emergency and Intensive Care of the Newborn
- Examination of the Newborn
- BSc Midwifery (Long Course and Post RN) - Neonatal Sessions
- Advanced Neonatal Nursing Programme
- Infant Mental Health
- Neonatal Care
- Pain Management and Developmental Care
- Skin Care
- Suicide Prevention and Intervention
- Infant Mental health
‘A Prospective Observational Study to Correlate the Effect of Using One of Three Leading Baby Wipe Products and The Incidence of Irritant Diaper Dermatitis (IDD) in Infants Up To Eight Weeks of Age’ with “The midwifery research team – Fiona MacVane Phipps (PI), Jeanne Lythgoe (CO-i) Kath Holt, Alli Mitchell, Sarah Fitchett & Professor Simon Mitchel from CMFT - won a research bid sponsored by a commercial partner providing £500,000 of funding for the above project.
Effects of the Neonatal Unit on Mental Health in the years following discharge.
- Diploma in Child Health, BSc Specialist Neonatal Practice, MSc Nursing (Neonatal Focus), LTHE Module 1 (PGCAP), NLS, MHFA.
- NMC, RCN, RGN.