Dr. Robert Bendall
School of Health and Society
Lecturer in Psychology
Robert is a Lecturer in Psychology and he joined the University of Salford in 2009. Robert completed a first degree in Psychology from the University of Glasgow and subsequently worked at the Department of Pharmacology at the University of Cambridge on a project funded by the High Q Foundation. Robert then completed an MPhil in Neuroscience from the Faculty of Life Sciences at the University of Manchester (BBSRC-funded) followed by a PhD in Experimental Psychology and Cognitive Neuroscience at the University of Salford. Robert welcomes applications from potential postgraduate research students (MSc by Research and PhD) within the fields of affective science, visual attention, emotion regulation, sleep and cognitive neuroscience.
Areas of research
Affective Science, Visual Attention, Emotion Regulation, Sleep, Cognitive Neuroscience
Robert is Module Leader for the Level 4 modules Introduction to Biological & Cognitive Psychology and Science of Psychology. Robert also contributes to the Cognitive Psychology and Biological Psychology modules at Level 5 and supervises both undergraduate and postgraduate dissertation research projects.
Robert is an experimental psychologist conducting research in affective science – an interdisciplinary field seeking to understand affective and emotional processes. Adopting a range of methodological approaches including behavioural experiments, neuroscientific techniques, and psychometric questionnaires, my research is currently focussed on the following main themes:
- the influence of emotion and affective stimuli on visual attention (e.g., visual search and change detection)
- the impact of individual differences including emotion regulation and personality traits on visual attention
- the relationships between affect, emotion regulation and sleep.
- PhD Experimental Psychology and Cognitive Neuroscience, University of Salford
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice, University of Salford
- MPhil Neuroscience, University of Manchester
- MA SocSci (Hons) Psychology, University of Glasgow
- British Psychological Society Chartered Member (CPsychol, AFBPsS)
- British Psychological Society Cognitive Section
- The Society for Functional Near Infrared Spectroscopy
- British Neuropsychological Society
- British Association for Cognitive Neuroscience
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy