School of Arts and Media
Associate Dean Academic (Student Experience)
I am the School’s strategic lead for student experience, working with a wide range of colleagues and partners to ensure our students engage in high quality programmes and are equipped for fulfilling careers.
My previous University roles have been as a director, leading cross-campus departments which have spanned disciplines including media, communications, journalism, politics and history.
I have also worked as a lecturer in journalism, programme leader (postgraduate and undergraduate) and admissions tutor.
Before joining the University in 2009, I enjoyed a 15-year career as a journalist in local, regional and national newspapers. My roles during this period included chief news reporter, feature writer, news editor and editor.
I have been an external examiner at Southampton Solent University, Kingston University and Leeds Beckett University. I also worked as an assessor for the National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ).
I am School lead for our partnership with the UK Asian Media Awards, which aims to promote greater diversity and inclusion in the creative industries.
I have been a judge for the Society of Editors (SoE), Royal Television Society (RTS) and O2 Media Awards and also represented the University through media interviews on BBC Breakfast TV, BBC News Channel, BBC Radio 4, BBC Radio5live, ITV and newspapers including The Manchester Evening News here
Areas of research
Future of newspaper organisations in digital age
- News and Ethics (level 7)
- Professional Practice (level 7)
- Major Journalism Project (Level 7)
- Journalism Practice (level 6)
- Major Journalism Projects (Level 6)
- Print Journalism (Level 5)
- Print and Online Journalism (level 4)
How newspaper organisations can survive and thrive in digital age.
- BA (Hons) History, Manchester Metropolitan University (1993)
- National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ): National Certificate in Newspaper Journalism, Stradbroke College, Sheffield and 18-month training period at The Knutsford Guardian, Cheshire (1996)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education Practice and Research, University of Salford (2011)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA), University of Salford (2021)
- Senior Leader Master’s Degree (Level 7) Apprenticeship, assessed by Institute of Leadership and Management (ILM) at University of Salford (2021)
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy (HEA)
- Institute of Leadership and Management (ILM)
- Association of MBAs (AMBA)
- Association of Journalism Education (AJE)
- Member of the Editorial Board, The Conversation 2016-17
- National Council for the Training of Journalists’ (NCTJ) Reporting sub-committee 2011-2016.
- Research Centre Membership: Communication, Cultural and Media Studies Research Centre, University of Salford.