Dr. Martin Twiste
School of Health and Society
Martin is one of a very small number of practising Prosthetists / Orthotists (www.hcpc-uk.co.uk) with a BSc, MSc, and PhD. He has worked in prosthetics and orthotics for over 25 years, both clinically and for the majority of his career within research and education. He is a Senior Lecturer at the University of Salford, delivering England’s only ‘Prosthetics & Orthotics’ BSc (Hons) programme and one of only two in the United Kingdom. He has significant experience of postgraduate and postdoctoral research supervision, and his research findings have been presented at both national and international conferences and published in various peer-reviewed journals.
Through collaboration, his research extends to other major universities involved in prosthetics and orthotics research, including Bath, Hull and Southampton. As research and teaching staff, Martin is involved in delivering Salford’s prestigious EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Prosthetics & Orthotics programme that supports at least 58 doctoral students to become future leaders in this field (https://www.salford.ac.uk/research/doctoral-training-in-prosthetics-and-orthotic/home). In addition, he founded and manages Limbless Statistics, which is a repository for demographic and clinical information on the limbless population referred for prosthetics treatment in the UK, and is accessed globally by professionals, students, and others (www.limbless-statistics.org).
Areas of research
Motion analysis of prosthetic gait, Engineering of prosthetic components, Design of rehabilitation aids
- Delivery of the Prosthetics and Orthotics undergraduate programme
- EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Prosthetics & Orthotics postgraduate programme
- Motion analysis of prosthetic gait
- Engineering of prosthetic components
- Design of rehabilitation aids
- PhD by Research: University of Salford
- PgCert Higher Education Practice and Research: University of Salford
- MSc by Research: University of Salford
- BSc (Hons) Prosthetics & Orthotics: University of Salford
- Health and Care Professions Council