Dr. Maria Yioutani-Iacovides
School of Science, Engineering and Environment
Lecturer in Architecture
Maria is a Lecturer in Architecture at the University of Salford.
She is an RIBA Chartered Architect (UK), an ARB Registered Architect (UK), and a Registered Architect in Cyprus (ETEK) with practical experience in the UK and in Cyprus.
In the UK, Maria worked as an Architect, Conservation Architect, and Conservation Officer for a decade before pursuing an academic career. She worked in various projects; conservation and restoration of Grade I, II*, II Listed Buildings, residential, urban regeneration projects, architectural competitions, etc.
She is a member of several professional organisations, in Architecture and Heritage, and an active member of RIBA NW, and IHBC NW.
During her studies she developed an interest in Historic and Traditional/Vernacular Buildings, Earthen Architecture, Abandoned Villages, Post-Byzantine Architecture, and Conservation of Historic Building (principles and practice).
In recent years, since 2015, she presented in National/International Conferences, invited lectures (at Universities), published her work in articles and contributed in book chapters.
In 2021, she participated in a multidisciplinary research project on ‘Conservation of Climate Change Endangered Cultural Furniture Industry Heritage in Damietta, Egypt (University of Salford, University of Lancaster, and CEDARE-Egypt), attended workshops in Egypt, and presented findings in the 2021 Festival of Social Science Conference, UK.
Areas of research
Building Conservation, Tangible & Intangible Cultural Heritage, Earthen Architecture, Sustainability in Architecture, Regeneration of Abandoned Historic Buildings and settlements. Built Heritage in Conflict
Areas of supervision
Built Heritage; Vernacular, Historic. Earthen Architecture. Built Heritage & Sustainable Design. Regeneration of Abandoned Built Heritage
- Architecture and Architectural Design Technology students in Level 5 and 6:
- Regeneration in the Historic Built Environment, Historic Building Conservation, Principles of Sustainable Design in the Built Environment, Design studies, Discipline Projects, Environmental Architectural technology.
- Supervision of dissertations: BSc (Hons) in Architecture, BSc (Hons) Architectural Design Technology.
- MSc in Construction Management.
- Architecture and Heritage (Tangible and Intangible)
- Vernacular Architecture (Earth Architecture in particular)
- Abandoned Historic Buildings and Historic Settlements
- Heritage in conflict zones
- Recreation and Heritage-led Regeneration
- Sustainability in the Historic and Built Environment
- Conservation of Historic Buildings
- Architect Engineer Degree (5 years), National Technical University of Athens-Greece
- MA in Historic Building Conservation, University of York, UK
- PhD in Architecture, University of Liverpool, UK.
- RIBA (Royal Institute of British Architects) Chartered Architect, UK
- ARB (Architects Registration Board) Registered Architect, UK
- ETEK (Technical Chamber of Cyprus), Cyprus
- IHBC (Institute of Historic Building Conservation) Full Member, UK