Dr. Hazel Price
School of Arts and Media
Academic Fellow in English Language
I joined the University of Salford in 2020 as an Academic Fellow in English Language. I teach across the English Language programme at Salford, primarily teaching modules that explore language in use, particularly the political and historical influences on the English language.
My research interests include corpus linguistics, (critical) discourse analysis and pragmatics. I am also interested in applications for research in linguistics, particularly through public engagement initiatives and public linguistics. In 2018, I co-edited a book related to this topic for Routledge entitled Applying Linguistics: Language and the Impact Agenda. In addition, I have published in the areas of pragmatics, stylistics and applied linguistics.
I am an Editorial Assistant for the popular language magazine, Babel, where I write the regular feature ‘Language in the News’.
I teach across the English Language programme at Salford. I am Module Leader for:
- Language Through Literature
- History & Diversity in English
- Attitudes to English
- The Language of Names
Broadly speaking, my research interests centre around language in use. My research explores the way that people use language for particular effects, e.g. to influence or to manipulate. Most recently, my research has explored how we talk about mental illness in society, with particular reference to the depiction of mental illness in UK newspapers. My research uses corpus linguistics and critical discourse analysis to analyse how the press represent issues concerning mental illness and how linguistic patterns in the representation of mental illness can be said to affect society’s view of it.
In addition to my own research, I have previously conducted consultancy work for public, private and third-sector organisations.
- PhD – University of Huddersfield, Huddersfield (UK)
- MA – University of Huddersfield, Huddersfield (UK)
- BA Hons – York St John University, York (UK)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Member of the Linguistics Association of Great Britain (LAGB)
- Member of the Poetics and Linguistics Association (PALA)
- Member of the British Association for Applied Linguistics (BAAL)
- Member of the Linguistic Politeness Research Group (LPRG)