Dr. Elaine Beaumont
School of Health and Society
Mary Seacole Room 3.17
Please email for an appointment.
Lecturer in Counselling and Psychotherapy
Elaine joined the University of Salford in 2007 as a part-time lecturer in Counselling and Psychotherapy. Elaine is an accredited cognitive behavioural psychotherapist, compassion focused therapist and Europe-approved eye movement desensitisation and reprocessing practitioner. Elaine works with a range of organisations and charities primarily working with people who have experienced either primary or secondary trauma.
Elaine’s PhD and research explores the impact compassionate mind training and compassion focused therapy has in educational and clinical settings. Elaine is passionate about helping people in the healthcare profession cultivate compassion for their own suffering. Elaine provides a variety of workshops regarding mental health, compassion, trauma and wellbeing for organisations, charities and the NHS.
Elaine is co-author of the bestselling books and The Self-Compassion App:
The Kindness Workbook: Compassionate and Creative Ways to Boost Your Wellbeing (Beaumont & Welford, 2020)
The Compassionate Mind Workbook: A step-by-step guide to developing your compassionate self, which has helped tens of thousands of people to learn how to develop greater compassion for themselves and others (Irons & Beaumont, 2017)
Areas of research
Primary and Secondary Trauma, Compassion Focused Therapy, Compassionate Mind Training, Self-Compassion, Post Traumatic Stress, Cultivating Compassion in Healthcare
Elaine teaches on the School’s undergraduate and taught postgraduate programmes and supervises undergraduate, postgraduate and PhD students.
- Compassion Focused Therapy
My professional background is in psychotherapy, psychology and mental health care. My research interests include:
- Helping individuals to respond to suffering with self-compassion
- The cultivation of compassionate care
- Examining the impact compassionate mind training and compassion focused therapy has on individuals suffering with trauma-related symptoms, high levels of self-criticism and shame
- Working with individuals who are suffering with symptoms of primary or secondary trauma
- 2002 BSc (Hons) Psychology (First Class)
- 2003 Post Graduate Certificate in Education
- 2004 Advanced Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy
- 2005 Diploma in Hypno-Psychotherapy & Advanced Certificate in Hypnotherapy
- 2008 Post Graduate Certificate in Supervision
- 2009 Level 1, Intermediate and Level 2 Training in Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing Therapy (EMDR)
- 2010 MSc in Counselling and Psychotherapy, University of Salford
- 2017 PhD ‘Being kinder to myself’: Using Compassion Focused Therapy and Compassionate Mind Training to help individuals in the helping professions cultivate compassion, University of Salford
- British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (Accredited Psychotherapist – 039574)
- EMDR UK (Approved Practitioner - B219)
- Registered Compassion Focused Therapist
- UK Council for Psychotherapy (Registered Psychotherapist – 0715935)