Dr. Donna Peach
School of Health and Society
Lecturer in Social Work
I am delighted to be a member of the academic social work team, teaching masters, step-up and undergraduate students. I have enjoyed a rewarding career in social work since 1985 with roles that have included: working therapeutically with children; senior management; CAFCASS, expert witness for the family courts. I am optimistic about the future of social work providing we hear the voices of children, families and those who work with them.
Areas of research
Child Sexual Exploitation, Trafficking, Abuse, Adoption, Communities of Practice
Social work, child protection, working with families, family court work, parenting assessments, parents with learning difficulties, attachment, child development, child sexual abuse and exploitation.
My doctoral research explored the experiences of prospective adoptive parents in 21st Century Britain. In addition, I was the Principal Investigator of the Rotherham CSE Needs Analysis study. I also have key roles in several current child sexual abuse/exploitation research projects including:
- Principal Investigator
- Evaluation of Barnados 'Real Love Rocks' CSE awareness resource Principal Investigator: Evaluating the Greater Manchester Police CTZN project
Joint University of Salford and the Pennine Acute Hospitals NHS Trust development of a tool to improve communication and understanding of child sexual abuse and exploitation. http://notjustathought.org.uk/
I also undertake independent research, reviews and investigations which have included:
- Police Operation Lenten
- Rotherham Voluntary Association's BASE project
- MOSAICII in Bradford.
My research interests are situated within a critical social psychology paradigm and include: adoption, childhood sexual abuse, parenting, familial relationships, social and familial policy, power relations, feminist theory, social protest, ethics, social media, qualitative mehodologies, pluralism, dialogism, phenomenology and discourse analysis.
- Doctor of Philosophy, MSc Family & Child Psychology, BSc Psychology, Diploma of Social Work, Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice.
- I am a HCPC registered social worker. I am a member of the British Association of Social Work and British Psychological Society.
- In May 2017 I was elected to serve as a Council member of BASW and a Trustee of its charitable foundation. I am a HEA Fellow.