Powered by Morson Group. Supporting the Maker Movement at Salford.
The Maker Space was established in partnership with Salford-based Morson Group, a world-leading engineering recruitment company.
Together we take an active role in addressing the STEM shortages by inspiring young people and our students to consider a future career in STEM by learning real-world digital fabrication skills in their studies.
MAKE IN SALFORD
Maker Space is a campus facility for digital fabrication and additive manufacturing. Industry partners, staff and students have full access to our equipment to solve electronic, design, manufacturing and technical challenges.
The Maker Space features the Morson Engine Room, a heavy duty workshop with industrial grade machinery found on factory floors for testing and prototyping.
Upcoming events for students in the Maker Space
You can learn a new skill or develop an existing one at our Maker Space workshops, no matter what school you are from or what course you are studying. You can read more about our upcoming events below or by heading to our Eventbrite page.
Student Instructor Programme
- Tuesday 3 October, 12:30-13:00, Maker Space
- Thursday 5 October, 16:00-16:30, Maker Space
We're looking for new student instructors. As an instructor, you will be provided with out-of-hours access to the Maker Space, get priority of paid work opportunities and receive invites to conferences and events - perfect for your CV! You need to have already accessed the Maker Space and completed a project using one or more of the technologies available.
Students learn how to use and operate our machines to acquire relevant industry skills in relation to design for manufacture, assembly, and inspection.
Our machines can work on a wide range and thickness of materials from metals, composites to glass and plastics. Specialist equipment will accurately machine timber, light metals and woodworking capabilities for model making and support precision metalwork turning capability.
MORSON ENGINE ROOM
- Waterjet cutting. Omax Maxiem 1515 5-axis waterjet.
- CNC milling. Haas UMC-500 5-axis mill.
- Flat-bed CNC Router. Machines full sheet size (2.4 x 1.2m)
- CNC lathe. Precision metalwork turning capability.
- 3D Printers. Fused Filament Fabrication (FFF)
- Stereolithography (SLA) printing.
- Metal additive manufacturing.
LASER CUTTING ZONE
- Laser cutting. CO2 and Fibre laser systems
- Epilog Fusion Pro, Fusion Edge, Zing & Gravograph LS 900.
- Digital and optical microscope and metrology instrumentation.
- Laser scanning arm.
- Electronics development area.
- 20 PCs with the latest 2D/3D design software.
- FUSION 360, AutoCad, Solidworks, Cura.
- Adobe CC Suite, Arduino IDE, Processing.
"MAKE IN SALFORD" OUR DNA
- Provide an open and inclusive place to develop and explore ideas.
- Assist in design processes using advanced digital fabrication technology.
- Link students, staff and industry to support research and innovation.
Morson Group, is the UK's No.1 technical, aerospace and rail recruiter and a global recruitment specialist with their headquarters in Salford, UK. Morson Group form a unique blend of recruitment and design consultancy businesses comprising of Morson International, Vital Human Resources, The Bridge and Morson Projects.