Got an idea for a new business? Time to engage with our start-up incubator Launch@ Salford.
Do you have an interesting idea to start a new Business or Social Enterprise?
Are you looking to sell products or services online or promote yourself as a freelancer?
Our exciting new ‘Prepare to Launch’ programme is here to help you to research, plan and explore your idea through a bootcamp delivered over two half day supported workshops.
You will join a cohort of other budding entrepreneurs to explore your own idea for a Business or Social Enterprise as we guide you through the basics of researching, modelling, testing and planning your venture in a structured and supportive environment.
The course will cover the following content:
- Business Basics – We will explore the basics you’ll need to consider such as company structures, HMRC and answer some frequently asked questions.
- Market Research – What are the main sources and methods that can be used to research your idea
- Business Modelling – Using a ‘Canvas’ as an agile planning tool to create and refine your own business model.
- Writing a Business Plan – We will guide you through a typical Business Plan template and explain each section to help you create your own blueprint for success.
- Creating a Minimum Viable Product – Create your own scaled down trial offer to test and validate your idea.
- Basic Start-up Financials and Next steps – Finally you will be shown some basic financials for start up and cashflow planning as well as guidance on financing, accessing further support from our Careers and Enterprise team and next steps with Launch.
We are currently planning to deliver three cohorts on the following dates:
Prepare to Launch Cohort 1
- Part 1 - Wednesday 11 October 2023, 13:00 - 16:00
- Part 2 - Wednesday 11 October 2023, 13:00 - 16:00
Prepare to Launch Cohort 2
- Part 1 - Wednesday 8 November 2023, 13:00 - 16:00
- Part 2 - Wednesday 15 November 2023, 13:00 - 16:00
Prepare to Launch Cohort 3
- Part 1 - Wednesday 17 January 2024, 13:00 - 16:00
- Part 2 - Wednesday 24 January 2024, 13:00 - 16:00
All workshops are delivered on-campus in the Launch Incubator, Room 337, 3rd Floor, Maxwell Building, Peel Park Campus.
To apply for Cohort 1, complete the Prepare to Launch Cohort 1 Application Form.
If you are an international student, please be aware that you must have the relevant permissions to start a business within the UK under the conditions of your visa. Generally Tier 4 Student Visa does not allow you to start a business in the UK. International graduates seeking work visas in the UK should stay updated on the latest changes and visa options available to them via the UK Visas and Immigration website.
The Launch team and Enterprise team are unable to advise on Visa permissions, so please contact the UKVI, Home office compliance team or gov.uk website for more information.
Launch Annual Report 2020-2021
Interested to know about the businesses that have worked with us? The Launch annual report gives you the facts and follows the experiences of the businesses that launched in 2020-2021.
Your new office space
Located in the Maxwell building, Launch provides workstations, reception area and private meeting spaces. You will also have access to a networking lounge where you can grab a coffee and make those all important business connections.
Six month support programme
We will set you on the right track to start your business with our six month support programme. You will get started with an exclusive training programme, Spark2Scale led by GC Business Growth Hub supplemented by inspirational Enterprise Stories from established entrepreneurs.
Subject specific drop in sessions
The programme includes drop-in sessions with our academic colleagues and inspirational enterprise stories from established entrepreneurs.
Business support and funding
Launch incubatees have access to grants and the opportunity to pitch for vital start-up funding for essentials such as software, insurances, licences, basic equipment, training or attendance at trade fairs.
Your business community
As part of this programme, you will have a team of experts that will help you get your idea off the ground. Our Incubation Manager will design a personalised training pathway and will work with you at every stage of your start-up journey providing vital opportunities for networking, mentorship and accessing funding. You will also be assigned a business mentor and have access to regular subject specific drop-ins provided by Salford Business School.
Celebrating your success
We want to showcase all the hard work you will be doing through our Showcase Events where you can present your business to our partners such as Santander, Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce and the GC Business Growth Hub. We will also arrange for opportunities to pitch for funding in business competitions, such as the Santander Universities Entrepreneurship Awards.