What to expect: To keep all of our tech equipment sanitised and safe, how you borrow a laptop will work a little differently. Here’s how things will work:
- You can still loan a laptop for a maximum of 24 hours and have the freedom to take it and study anywhere.
- All laptops will be thoroughly sanitised by our staff before and after use.
- When taking out a laptop from the Clifford Whitworth building you will now need to head over to the Enquiry Desk instead of the usual laptop lockers.
- You must also return your laptop to the Clifford Whitworth enquiry desk for one of our friendly staff members to sanitise it for the next user.
- If you want to take out a laptop from the Media City UK Library, or Allerton Learning Space, our staff will be there to help. Follow the informational signage in place next to the laptop lockers and return your laptop to the Enquiry Desk to allow for cleaning.
We are working hard to get laptops ready for you to borrow for trimester-long loans. As soon as we can, we’ll make these available (bookable via click and collect).
The laptops are kept in laptop lockers at the following locations:
- Clifford Whitworth Library - 228 laptops
- Allerton Learning Space - 60 laptops
- MediaCity Library - Laptops are currently unavailable
Borrow a laptop at Clifford Whitworth
Please see a member of the library team at the Enquiry Desk.
Borrow a laptop at Allerton
Select 'Borrow' on the central screen of the laptop locker and scan your Library card on the wireless icon below the screen.
Accept the 'Terms and Conditions' and the locker number and details of the borrowing period will appear on screen. The locker containing the laptop will flash. Scan your card on the wireless icon on the column where the locker is flashing.
Open the flashing locker, unplug the laptop from the charging cable and take out the laptop. Go to the Enquiry Desk if you need to borrow a portable charger. You must inform the Enquiry Desk if the locker doesn't contain a laptop.
Please note: You are responsible for the laptop/charger while it is loaned to you. It must not be left unattended or loaned to anyone else. A fee will be charged for stolen, lost or damaged equipment. If you are aware that what you loan is damaged, please take it to the Library Enquiry Desk as soon as you notice the fault.
Return a laptop
To return a laptop, please visit the Enquiry Desk and speak to a member of Library staff.
Late and non-return
Please adhere to the loan length of the laptop that you have borrowed. If you do not return the laptop or charger within the loan period the following will happen:
Late return: A warning
Second late return: A week's ban from borrowing laptops
Third late return: A 12-week ban from borrowing laptops
Fees will be charged for stolen, lost and damaged laptops and chargers.
|Loss of power cable||£30|
|Laptop requires repair||£50|
|Laptop is returned in an irreparable condition (as specified by third party supplier)||£850|
My card won't scan
If your library card does not work when scanned on the locker, it may have been set up incorrectly. Take your card to the main reception in Maxwell or Allerton building and ask to have it re-badged to give you access.
A courtesy email is automatically sent to you whenever you borrow a laptop and charger. It lists the locker details (e.g. 'Locker Number AB 01: Library Laptop'), and the date and time the laptop needs to be returned.