Aeronautical & Mechanical Engineering
Whether you're a new student starting your first assignment, further on in your studies, or starting a research project, this page will help you find and use the best information for your subject. You will also find resources to help develop your academic, study and digital skills.
If you can't find what you need here, please contact your Academic Support Team: library-SEE@salford.ac.uk
Key resources for Aeronautical & Mechanical Engineering students
Covering all science, engineering and technology areas:
Specifically for petroleum and gas subjects:
LinkedIn Learning offers over 9,000 professionally produced online courses covering a wide range of technical, creative and professional skills.
Always use our institutional link to log in – you will need your University email address and password. The first time that you log in, you will be taken through a setup process to discover courses tailored to your interests.
Discover more in our video: Using LinkedIn Learning at Salford.
APA 7th (Harvard) style is the main referencing style in use at the University. We've compiled an easy to follow list of guidebooks and examples to help you get to grips with complexities of referencing.
Newspapers are a valuable source of information. They provide insight into what interests and concerns people both now and in the past.
The Library provides some excellent newspaper sources that allow you to search simply and easily across many newspapers at once.
Dissertations and Theses
During the course of your studies, you may find that you need to search for dissertations or theses.
You can use Library Search to help you find them and there are a number of different ways to search, depending on what you want to find.
Book a one to one
If you’ve tried our eLearning and classroom sessions and need more help, you can request a one to one appointment for information finding, academic and writing or digital skills. Select your chosen time slot and book on through Advantage.
Book on a workshop
We offer a wide range of face-to-face skills training. If you need to improve your IT skills, learn how to find information for your assignments or improve your study skills this is a great place to start.
All workshops are bookable through Advantage by clicking on the workshop title. Where a session has no remaining spaces you can add yourself to the waiting list.
- Starts: 2 Nov 2021, 12:00 pmFinishes: 2 Nov 2021, 1:00 pmRemaining places: 20Got an assignment and don't know where to start? Come and learn about types of assignment, managing your time and planning and structuring your work.
- Starts: 3 Nov 2021, 4:00 pmFinishes: 3 Nov 2021, 5:00 pmRemaining places: 16This workshop will help you understand what plagiarism is and how to avoid it in your work. Please note: This workshop is online.
- Starts: 5 Nov 2021, 11:00 amFinishes: 5 Nov 2021, 12:00 pmRemaining places: 50The Writing Café is primarily a self-guided study space for students to work on assignments. It is based on the premise that good writing takes practice and reflection. This workshop will be delivered online.
- Starts: 2 Nov 2021, 5:00 pmFinishes: 2 Nov 2021, 6:00 pmVenue: MOS Exam - Certiport exam providerRemaining places: 8This is an online EXAM SESSION for Microsoft Office Specialist certification. When booking you MUST have registered on the MOS programme AND scored 70% plus in GMetrix's 'Testing' mode in your chosen application. Bookings not meeting this criteria will be cancelled. Bookings open 12 October.
- Starts: 17 Nov 2021, 5:00 pmFinishes: 17 Nov 2021, 6:00 pmVenue: MOS Exam - Certiport exam providerRemaining places: 10This is an online EXAM SESSION for Microsoft Office Specialist certification. When booking you MUST have registered on the MOS programme AND scored 70% plus in GMetrix's 'Testing' mode in your chosen application. Bookings not meeting this criteria will be cancelled. Bookings open 27 October.
- Starts: 4 Nov 2021, 2:00 pmFinishes: 4 Nov 2021, 3:30 pmRemaining places: 33EndNote is referencing software which can be used to manage your information sources and create citations and reference lists automatically and correctly. It is particularly useful for students working on large projects such as dissertations and theses.
Please note: This workshop is online.
- Starts: 22 Nov 2021, 12:00 pmFinishes: 22 Nov 2021, 1:00 pmRemaining places: 44This workshop is a live demo of how Library Search works and showcases what it can do to help you find information. This webinar will show you how to find and use Library Search, and will include tips on making the most of all of its features, saving you time! This workshop is online.
- Starts: 6 Dec 2021, 5:00 pmFinishes: 6 Dec 2021, 6:00 pmRemaining places: 47This workshop is a live demo of how Library Search works and showcases what it can do to help you find information. This webinar will show you how to find and use Library Search, and will include tips on making the most of all of its features, saving you time! This workshop is online.