The extent of the service required to support campus developments will depend on the size and nature of the project. The provision of professional design and project management services will typically include the following:
- Management of the project process
- Advice on initial concept and feasibility of projects
- Order of costs
- Sketch schemes
- Advice on programming and timescales
- Ensuring procurement is within University policy either through In-Tend or an approved framework
- Management of project related health and safety issues including CDM and the appointment of a Principal Designer
- Liaison with Estates colleagues and other University Stakeholders
- Management of full scheme design by external consultants including architectural, mechanical and electrical services and structural engineering
- Management of the preparation of specifications by external consultants
- Management of the preparation of tender documentation by external consultants
- Management of the tender appraisal and recommendation by external consultants
- Post contract administration
- Management of project budgets
- Management of quality of the works
- Final account settlement
- Other duties as deemed appropriate
The Estate Projects Team is the focal point for the undertaking of major and minor building projects, adaptations, alterations and major maintenance works. The Group deals with work for Schools, and Support Services, and with major repairs to the Estate which are all centrally funded.
Typical projects include office alterations and refurbishment, pool teaching room and communal areas upgrading, and change of use of space. Major maintenance works include re-roofing a building, structural frame repairs and roadway resurfacing.
The team of Project Officers report to the Head of Operations who in turn reports to the Associate Director, Operations Management.