Reducing inequity for students
We believe that diversity and inclusion are at the core of who we are as a University. Although we have moved forward in several areas such as widening diverse participation across many subject areas, we know there is more progress to make. Our Equity, Diversity, Inclusion (EDI) Statement of Ambition is a high-level document that outlines the goals that we will work towards in eliminating or reducing inequity for students and staff.
For students, our EDI goal is centered on ensuring that every student has an equal opportunity to succeed, regardless of their background.
Our commitment is not just words; it's backed by data. We've carefully reviewed our data and identified areas where there are disparities among different groups of students. To address these issues, we've established a set of goals that will guide our efforts to create a fair and inclusive educational environment for all students.
The student goals are focussed on five main areas:
- Closing the gap in passing assessments: We aim to narrow the gap between students from the most deprived backgrounds and those from the least deprived backgrounds in terms of passing their assessments on the first attempt.
- Closing the gap in timely graduation: We are committed to narrowing the gap between students from different backgrounds in completing their studies on time.
- Closing the award gap: We’re striving to narrow the gap between minoritised ethnic students and white students in relation to the proportion of 2:1s and first-class degrees awarded.
- Equal opportunities for employment and further study: We’re dedicated to eliminating the gap between minoritised ethnic students and white students in terms of gaining highly skilled employment or advancing to further study.
- Enhancing assessment and feedback: Our goal is to eliminate the gap between minoritised ethnic students and white students in their National Student Survey (NSS) ratings for assessment and feedback.
Watch now: Our EDI Statement of Ambition
Filmed across our campus and featuring students and staff, our video brings to life our ambition, goals and commitments. Take a look by clicking on the video below.
In the video above, we hear from:
- Amber Jones, BA (Hons) Media & Performance student
- Tom Roberts, BA (Hons) Comedy Writing and Performance student
- Pradeep Passi, Associate Pro Vice-Chancellor for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- Jo Purves, Associate Pro Vice-Chancellor for Academic Development
- Dr Sam Grogan, Pro Vice-Chancellor for Education and Student Experience
- Sonal Patel, Head of Learning and Organisational Development
- Hannah Burchell, Director of Marketing, Communications and External Relations
- Professor Karl Dayson, Pro Vice-Chancellor for Research and Enterprise