Education Verification Requests

All reference requests for University of Salford graduates are managed via the Higher Education Degree Datacheck (HEDD) online verification service. HEDD is used by over 70 institutions throughout the UK and is designed for employers and agencies to verify university awards and study dates.

Please note that the HEDD service is only for use by third parties and should not be used by current or past students to request confirmation of their study with the University or for issuing character references. If you are a current or past student who requires confirmation of study or award, find what you need within our documents requests area.

If you are a current or past student who requires a character reference, please send your request directly to the member of staff from your school (e.g. personal tutor, programme leader) who you wish to act as referee. If you are unsure on who this is you can contact a member of your school.

How to register

To make an enquiry you need to register with HEDD. Select 'The University of Salford' from the list of UK Higher Education institutions and choose the option to 'verify a degree award'. There is a charge of £12 per enquiry. If you require further assistance, please email

Making an enquiry

All applicants will need to provide the name of the individual, date of birth, course and qualification. For graduates you will also need their year of graduation and degree result. If an immediate automatic verification is not available, the enquiry will go directly to the team at the University of Salford for manual verification, with a five working day turnaround time.

If you have any queries, please submit your enquiry via email to with the enquiry reference number in the subject line.

Management information

All enquiries are stored in the HEDD system and can be exported as an MS Excel or CSV file.

You can sort your enquiries according to status:

  • Automatically verified
  • Pending – this means HEDD could not automatically verify an enquiry and have requested a response from the University
  • Not verified – where the University has responded in the negative
  • Partially verified – where the University has verified some but not all the data, e.g. the wrong year of graduation has been submitted


If you have any problems or queries, please email, including your phone number if you would like a call back. Alternatively, please contact the askUS Team on +44 (0)161 295 0023 (option 3, option 3) or via email to assist further.