Skip to main content

Tuition fees

Tuition fees for new, home and EU undergraduate students in the 2020/21 academic year will be £9,250 per year. Fees for foundation years, international students, postgraduate programmes and part-time programmes vary, so please check under the fees section for your chosen course on our Course Finder.

Before you are able to register for each year of your course, you will need to either have confirmation of your tuition fee loan from the Student Loans Company, confirmation of sponsorship, pay in full or set up a payment plan if you are self-funding your tuition costs.

There are many ways you can pay for your tuition fees, please see below for further information.

If you are a Home/EU student you can apply for a loan from the Student Loans Company to cover the costs of your tuition fees (subject to meeting eligability criteria).

You will not have to repay the loan until you have graduated, have started work and are earning over £25,000 a year. You can start applying for your funding package from February/March before your course starts (for September starters) and continuing students need to remember to apply for their funding each year of their course.

Further information about applying for a tuition fee loan is available at

The Tuition Fee Loan is paid directly to the University once your registration is confirmed so you do not have to pay your tuition fees to us yourself.

If there is a delay in receiving confirmation of your funding from the Student Loans Company, you will be asked to set up a tuition fee payment plan directly with the University in order to register until your tuition fee loan is confirmed.

Masters Loans

If you are an English-resident student or an EU student studying in England you can apply for a Masters Loan which will allow you to borrow up to £10,906 to support you while studying a UK Master’s Degree.

The money is provided by Student Finance England, on behalf of the UK Government and is paid to you in regular instalments to contribute towards your tuition fees and your living costs. The earliest you start repaying is the April after you leave your course. You will only repay when your income is over £21,000 a year (£404 a week or £1,750 a month before tax and other deductions).

Masters loans are also available if you are ordinarily resident in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland however the amount you can borrow and terms and conditions will differ.

Find out more about all Masters Loans here.

Doctoral Loans

A doctoral loan lets you borrow up to £25,700 to start a new UK PhD in any subject area if you are ordinarily resident in England. Funding for a Postgraduate Doctoral Loan is different if you normally live in Wales. Doctoral Loans are currently not available for students from Scotland or Northern Ireland.

The money is paid to you in instalments and is divided over the number of years you are studying for your PhD. The earliest you will start repaying your loan is in the first April after you leave your course or in the April four years after your PhD starts (whichever is sooner). Repayments are only made when you are earning over £21,000 a year (£404 a week or £1,750 a month before tax and other deductions).

Further information about the Postgraduate Doctoral Loans Scheme can be found online.

Paying Postgraduate Tuition Fees

Postgraduate students pay tuition fees direct to the university. During the online registration process students will be offered the choice of 5 monthly instalments or 3 termly instalments (in line with the loan payments from Student Finance).

If you are expecting an external organisation (e.g. an embassy, your employer, a government organisation) to pay some or all of your tuition fee then you must send an official letter from your sponsor to the University. This letter should come on company letter-headed paper and include the following;

  • Your name and Student ID Number
  • Your course of study
  • The amount your sponsor agrees to pay on your behalf
  • Any reference/award number/ purchase order number they require  to be included on the invoice
  • Invoicing address, email and contact telephone number  
  • The duration of the sponsorship ( e.g. for one year only or the dates of the entire course of study)
  • Confirmation that your sponsor undertakes to pay the tuition fee direct to the university and not the student within 28 days from the date of invoice as per the Universities terms and conditions.

UK Company Sponsors

International Company Sponsors -

Your sponsor may require confirmation of the amount of tuition fee due for the academic year before a sponsor letter can be produced for you. If you are an applicant your offer letter will confirm your fee. If you are a continuing student you can request this information from the Fees & Awards Team

Please ensure that you take the necessary steps to enable you to provide your sponsor letter at the beginning of each academic year.

Please note that if a sponsor fails to pay then the full amount of outstanding fees becomes the responsibility of the student.

International students who do not have confirmation of their sponsorship will be expected to pay a deposit of £4,400 to secure their place on a course. This deposit will be refunded once a valid sponsorship letter is produced and payment received from the sponsor.

Image result for visa logoPay fees here

Paying your tuition fee is an integral part of the registration process at the University. If you do not arrange payment of your fee in advance of your arrival, you must do so when you register.        

If you are an International student, you will be required to pay a deposit of £4,400 unless you are sponsored (see sponsored students tab above for further details). This deposit is only refundable in the event of a visa refusal.        

If you are self-funding your studies, then you have the option to pay for your tuition in full (which will be rewarded with a 3% Prompt Payment Discount (PPD) on the amount you pay yourself) or in instalments by setting up a payment plan.        


  • Online with a debit/credit card via our online payments centre.            
  • In instalments by debit or credit card set up at registration online - Recurring Card Payment (RCP).            
  • International Bank Transfer, Card and E-wallet - Flywire.            

For security reasons the University does not accept cash for payment of Tuition Fees - We do not recommend students carry large amounts of cash. If you are considering bringing cash into the UK for other purposes, then please be aware that there are laws around the amounts you      can      bring/need to declare. Further information can be found here.        


During your online registration a payment plan can be set up to cover payment of your tuition fees. This will be in 5 equal instalments commencing one month after registration.          

For September starters the RCP payment dates would look like this:        

  • 31st October            
  • 30th November            
  • 31st December            
  • 30th January            
  • 28th February            

If you are paying by recurring card payment the payment day can be amended if agreed in advance with the Income and Treasury Management Team.        


Need to change the card you have your instalment plan set up with? Please click here and enter the email address used when you set your plan up. A secure email will then be sent to you where you can update your card details        


The University of Salford has partnered with Flywire to offer a secure way for international students to make tuition fee payments from their home country.            

Students can pay their £4400.00 international deposit or full academic years fee using Flywire.            

Flywire Logo

Flywire is The University of Salford’s preferred method for international bank transfers and offers the following benefits to students:              

  • Allows you to pay in over 150 currencies (including Alipay, Union Pay and JCB card)
  • Save money on bank fees and exchange rates                  
  • Pay from any country and any bank                  
  • Pay by bank transfer, credit/debit card, or e-wallet solutions                  
  • Track your payment online 24/7                  
  • Receive email and text updates regarding your payment status                  
  • 24/7 dedicated multilingual customer support                  

Visit to begin the payment process or click “Pay Online with Flywire” below            


Postgraduate students pay tuition fees direct to the university. During the online registration process Home/EU students will be offered the choice of 5 monthly instalments or 3 termly instalments (in line with the loan payments from Student Finance).


A discount is offered to students who pay in full at or before registration.

The PPD is 3% off the amount you pay for your tuition fees i.e. after any other discounts/bursaries have been applied. This discount is only available for up to 2 weeks after the course commencement date held on your university account.

If you have paid 100% of your fees within the 2-week period, you can request a refund of 3% by contacting the income and treasury team after registration. Please note the refund will be credited back to the original payer using the same method of payment.

Failure to keep up with instalments may result in your student status being cancelled and you will be asked to leave your course.  

See Problems Paying Your Tuition Fees.

If you think you may have a problem paying your tuition fees it is really important that you speak to somebody as early as possible. The sooner the University knows there is a problem then the sooner the staff who are trained to help and advise you can do this.

The Income & Treasury Management Team should be your first point of call if you have a problem. They can be contacted on 0161 295 0023 (option 2 then option 1) by e-mailing or by going to the payment counter in University House.

askUS has trained Finance Advisers who can be contacted on 0161 295 0023 (option 2 then option 3), by emailing or by going to one of the askUS desks across campus.

Please note that failure to keep up with instalments may result in your student status being cancelled and you will be asked to leave your course. You will also not be permitted to register into the next year of your course or to graduate. Failure to pay your fees may result in your debt being passed to an external agency for collection and could ultimately result in a County Court Judgement (CCJ) being issued against you.

For International Students This may affect your stay in the United Kingdom as you will no longer be complying with the conditions of your visa. The University is required to report back to the Home Office any visa holders who are no longer studying with the University. This means that the Home Office may withdraw your study visa and request your removal from the United Kingdom.

Please note that all students can only be reinstated once the remaining fees owed have been paid in full.

For the registration terms and conditions, tuition fee policy, and key facts about fees information, please visit the Rules and Regulations section of our Student Channel at