Learn English for Academic Purposes (LEAP)
Learn English for Academic Purposes (LEAP) offers a range of free online English language webinars, help and support, that you can benefit from while studying at the University of Salford. The online offering is designed to support your academic English development so that your work is of a higher quality.
LEAP gives you the opportunity to develop your academic English language skills, so that your academic work is of a higher quality. The webinars are student-centred and interactive, allowing you to practise your skills.
Depending on the webinar you choose, you will develop academic fluency for speaking, listening, reading or writing, through class work, incorporating individual work, pair work and group work.
Webinars are usually two hours in length, with extra practice materials and activities provided through the Blackboard virtual learning environment. If you are based on campus, you can also benefit from dedicated learning space in the Language Resource Centre on the 9th floor of the Maxwell Building.
There are no formal assessments, but there are lots of informal activities in each session so that you can monitor your progress and receive feedback from your tutor and peers.
LEAP is delivered by passionate, highly qualified and experienced English language lecturers who make sure that every session is enjoyable and valuable. Our sessions are accredited by the British Council to provide you with the assurance that you are receiving the highest level of teaching and support.
Our webinars run at various times throughout the week in trimesters one and two and are small in size with maximum of 18 students. You will also benefit from extra practice materials and activities provided through the Blackboard virtual learning environment.
- Webinars are listed below and are bookable through Advantage by clicking on the workshop title. Where a session has no remaining spaces you can add yourself to the waiting list.
- The only thing we ask of you is that you attend every session that you have booked onto, unless there is a valid reason for absence (such as illness).
Workshops are added regularly, so keep checking back to see what's new!
- Starts: 8 Feb 2023, 1:00 pmFinishes: 8 Feb 2023, 1:50 pmRemaining places: 0In this 50-minute webinar, we will explore how to reference and cite the work of other writers in University of Salford assignments.
- Starts: 8 Feb 2023, 4:15 pmFinishes: 8 Feb 2023, 4:55 pmRemaining places: 15In this 40-minute webinar, we will explore a range of techniques for incorporating other writers' ideas into your assignments by paraphrasing.
- Tutorials slots are bookable through Advantage by clicking on this link. Tutorial slots are added on a weekly basis, so please check back if you find that all are booked out.
- The only thing we ask of you is that you attend your tutorial once you have booked onto it, unless there is a valid reason for absence (such as illness). Should you know beforehand that you will be absent, please cancel your tutorial slot on Advantage so that another student can make use of it.
Benefits of LEAP
English language competency in reading, writing, listening and speaking enhances the quality of your academic work, which is crucial for success during your study at the University of Salford.
Highly competent English language communicators are more highly valued by employers, whichever country you plan to work in when you graduate.
Learning alongside both native and non-native speakers helps you interact with people from different backgrounds and enables you to make new friends, and this has a positive impact on your mental wellbeing.
Activities are designed to be interactive, so that you can practise your skills and integrate more effectively with your peers, tutors, and wider academic communities.
Terms and conditions
All LEAP sessions are bookable through the Advantage system, and sessions are completely free of charge for current University of Salford students! The only thing we ask of you is that you attend every session that you have booked onto, unless there is a valid reason for absence (such as illness).
Please be aware that we may have to cancel, suspend or terminate a session if any circumstances beyond our control prevent or delay its delivery (including but not limited to staff shortage) or if participant numbers fall below a sustainable/viable level. By completing your booking on the session you are deemed to accept these terms and conditions.