Dr. Yun Chen
Salford Business School
Programme Leader of BSc Digital Business, Lecturer in Business IT
I am a UG Programme Director, Module Leader and Lecturer of Business IT in Salford Business School, University of Salford, UK. My teaching subjects relate to Business Disruptive Technologies, Operation and Information Management, Digital Marketing Strategy and Technologies, Information Systems and Digital Transformation, M-Commerce and Digital Workplace.
I used to work on several multi-million GBP/EURO collaborative research projects, responsible for building information system for sustainable urban planning/regeneration. I am now involved in KTP projects and EU-funded Cyber Foundry project. I am currently supervising PhD students on the topics of Digital Innovation in UK SMEs, M-learning in Higher Education, Digital Transformation. My main research focuses upon on the emerging business IT, business innovation, digital transformation and information system strategy in organisations.
I obtained four degrees, and all of them were awarded with good. I held Overseas Research Scholarship (ORS) from UK government (Universities UK) when I was studying my PhD. I also obtained Certificate of Professional Development in Consultation Services and Techniques.
I have teaching experiences in Foundation, BSc, Pre-Master and MSc courses, using a variety of teaching methods including lecturing, small group tutorial and e-learning.
- In Salford Business School, I have been teaching undergraduate students in various programmes for 4 years, such as Business IT, People and Computing, Rich Media etc. The subjects I am teaching are all about how to apply Information Technologies into business field (such as emerging creative technologies, website development technologies – (X)HTML, CSS, PHP etc.).
- I used to teach International Foundation course and Pre-master course in the University of Huddersfield, subjects including computing (C, C++, website design etc.), business research and quantitative methods.
- I also used to give lectures on 'Environmental Planning' & 'Research Methodology' to MSc Virtual City students in the School of the Built Environment both physically and online (using Elluminate).
I am currently supervising 3 PhD students (2 full-time and 1 part-time) in the field of information system/disruptive technologies in business context.
My PhD topic is 'Complex Information System Development'. I have been employed on three multi-million GBP/EURO projects from 2004 to 2012 which are:
- Sustainable Urban Regeneration, SURegen (UK Government EPSRC funded, £2.5 Million, 2008-2012).
- Virtual Environmental Planning System, VEPs (E109, INTEREG 3b, €4.7 million 2004 -2008)
- IntelCities (FP7 IP, €6.8 million, 2004-2005)
My research interests also include: digital innovation and enterprise software in business, mobile commerce and app development, human-centred design and user experience, IT sustainability.
Ongoing research projects include:
- Data Observatory for GM Region SMEs (HEIF project, 01/08/2020 – 31/07/2021)
- Research on the Big Data Pricing as an Asset (Humanity and Social Science project sponsored by Chinese MOE, 12/2019 – 12/2023)
- Cyber Foundry for GM region SMEs(ERDF project, commencing on Sept 2018)
- I am currently supervising 4 doctoral students on the topic of: Digital Transformation; eLearning in Higher Education.
- I would be interested in supervising future doctoral students in:
- the general area of business information technology, impact of emerging technology on business, society and culture, information management and information system strategy in organization.
- Sept. 2009 – Mar. 2011: PG Cert in Higher Education Practice and Research, University of Salford, UK (Part-time) (Passed with grade 68%)
- Apr. 2003 – Apr. 2007: PhD in Methodology for ePlanning Systems Development, University of Salford, UK (Awarded, with Overseas Research Scholarship)
- Sept. 2001 – Dec. 2002: MSc. in Computation, UMIST, UK (Passed with Distinction)
- Sept. 1997 – Jul. 2001: BSc. in Chemical Engineering and Mechanics, Beijing University of Chemical Technologies, China (Passed with First Class)
- Sept. 2015 – Present: Member of Centre for Digital Business
- Jul. 2011 – Present: Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA)