Dr. Yun Chen
Salford Business School
Senior Lecturer in Digital Business and Information Systems, Subject Group Lead: Digital Business and Information Systems, Co-Lead of Disruptive Technology Cluster, PGR Admission Tutor
My teaching subjects relate to Business Disruptive Technologies, Operation and Information Management, Digital Marketing Strategy and Technologies, Information Systems and Digital Transformation, M-Commerce and Digital Workplace.
I used to work on several multi-million GBP/EURO collaborative research projects, responsible for building information system for sustainable urban planning/regeneration. I am now involved in KTP projects and EU-funded Cyber Foundry project. I am currently supervising PhD students on the topics of Digital Innovation in UK SMEs, M-learning in Higher Education, Digital Transformation. My main research focuses upon on the emerging business IT, business innovation, digital transformation and information system strategy in organisations.
I obtained four degrees, and all of them were awarded with good. I held Overseas Research Scholarship (ORS) from UK government (Universities UK) when I was studying my PhD. I also obtained Certificate of Professional Development in Consultation Services and Techniques.
I have teaching experiences in Foundation, BSc, Pre-Master and MSc courses, using a variety of teaching methods including lecturing, small group tutorial and e-learning.
- In Salford Business School, I have been teaching undergraduate students in various programmes for 4 years, such as Business IT, People and Computing, Rich Media etc. The subjects I am teaching are all about how to apply Information Technologies into business field (such as emerging creative technologies, website development technologies – (X)HTML, CSS, PHP etc.).
- I used to teach International Foundation course and Pre-master course in the University of Huddersfield, subjects including computing (C, C++, website design etc.), business research and quantitative methods.
- I also used to give lectures on 'Environmental Planning' & 'Research Methodology' to MSc Virtual City students in the School of the Built Environment both physically and online (using Elluminate).
I am currently supervising 3 PhD students (2 full-time and 1 part-time) in the field of information system/disruptive technologies in business context.
My PhD topic is 'Complex Information System Development'. I have been employed on three multi-million GBP/EURO projects from 2004 to 2012 which are:
- Sustainable Urban Regeneration, SURegen (UK Government EPSRC funded, £2.5 Million, 2008-2012).
- Virtual Environmental Planning System, VEPs (E109, INTEREG 3b, €4.7 million 2004 -2008)
- IntelCities (FP7 IP, €6.8 million, 2004-2005)
My research interests also include: digital innovation and enterprise software in business, mobile commerce and app development, human-centred design and user experience, IT sustainability.
Ongoing research projects include:
- Data Observatory for GM Region SMEs (HEIF project, 01/08/2020 – 31/07/2021)
- Research on the Big Data Pricing as an Asset (Humanity and Social Science project sponsored by Chinese MOE, 12/2019 – 12/2023)
- Cyber Foundry for GM region SMEs(ERDF project, commencing on Sept 2018)
- I am currently supervising 4 doctoral students on the topic of: Digital Transformation; eLearning in Higher Education.
- I would be interested in supervising future doctoral students in:
- the general area of business information technology, impact of emerging technology on business, society and culture, information management and information system strategy in organization.
- Sept. 2009 – Mar. 2011: PG Cert in Higher Education Practice and Research, University of Salford, UK (Part-time) (Passed with grade 68%)
- Apr. 2003 – Apr. 2007: PhD in Methodology for ePlanning Systems Development, University of Salford, UK (Awarded, with Overseas Research Scholarship)
- Sept. 2001 – Dec. 2002: MSc. in Computation, UMIST, UK (Passed with Distinction)
- Sept. 1997 – Jul. 2001: BSc. in Chemical Engineering and Mechanics, Beijing University of Chemical Technologies, China (Passed with First Class)
- Sept. 2015 – Present: Member of Centre for Digital Business
- Jul. 2011 – Present: Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA)