School of Health and Society
Tim Duerdan became a member of The School for Midwifery, Nursing, Social Work and Social Science at the University of Salford in 2011 based in the Counselling and Psychotherapy team. His lectures focus on third wave behavioural approaches and is fully trained in Counselling; Cognitive Behavioural Therapy; Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy; and Compassion Focused Therapy.
Before then Tim was employed by the University of Salford teaching a different academic discipline: Physiology and Research Methods. Prior to this Tim became fascinated by the interaction of psychological states and physical health and mindfulness approaches and taught mindfulness practice in educational, community and corporate settings and this work continued after starting at Salford.
The focus of his teaching is related to psychotherapeutic interventions; mainly 3rd wave behavioural approaches such as Mindfulness-Based Approaches, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and Compassion Focused Therapy.
Tim teaches research methods.
Tim's current area of interest is the evaluation of mindfulness based approaches in primary and community health settings.
He is currently involved in a pilot study evaluating the use of mindfulness-based approaches for people with Parkinson’s Disease.
Tim is also in the preliminary stages of exploring the use of mindfulness- and compassion- based approaches with populations often excluded from standard mindfulness-based approaches.
- 1987: MB BS Medicine (from Newcastle University)
- 1992: PGCE Education (from Bolton Institute of Higher Education)
- 2000: PG Diploma Biomedical Science (from Manchester Metropolitan University)
- 2008: Breathworks Trainer Accreditation (from Breathworks)
- 2010: Integrative Hypnotherapy Diploma (from Christie Hospital)
- 2012: PGCert Counselling and Psychotherapy: Professional Training
- 2014: PGDip Cognitive Behavioral Psychotherapy
- 2015: MSc Counselling and Psychotherapy: Professional Training
- British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy
- Association for Contextual Behavioral Science
- Mindfulness Based Approaches
- Third-wave Behavioural Therapies
- Compassion Focused Approaches