Dr. Stylianos Sapountzis
Salford Business School
Programme Leader for MSc Project Management
Stelios is the programme leader for the MSc in Project Management for Salford Business School, and responsible for a number of modules as the module leader, indicative: Project Management Leadership and Skills (PG), Advanced Project and Logistic Management (PG) and the Project Management (UG) module.
He has joined Salford Business School after an industrial career in manufacturing management that was followed by a research fellowship at the University of Salford.
He has years of experience as a production manager for a world-class manufacturer, in the electronics manufacturing services (EMS) sector. His role involved managing turnkey projects being in direct involvement with clients, as well as ensuring production line orientation, design and assembly sequencing of operations. In his early industrial career, he was a process engineer, focusing on production / process optimisation and new product introduction.
Stelios joined the University in 2006 as research fellow in the School of the Built Environment. Bringing in his expertise in lean manufacturing and project/production management, he undertook the fundamental research around the development of the BeReal process (Benefits Realisation for Healthcare Infrastructure Projects).
He was responsible for the overall management of the Health and Care Infrastructure Research and Innovation Centre (HaCIRIC) for the University of Salford, managing the research portfolio, initiating consultancy activity and presenting the research work to international audiences and national bodies, such as the Community Health Partnerships, the Department of Health, NHS Trusts, National Audit Office, Office of Government in Commerce, Manchester City Council.
He has developed and delivered research-led teaching material at all levels, in the area of benefits realisation in the management of projects and lean thinking.
Areas of supervision
Value generation in Projects, Efficient and Effective Project management through Benefits Realisation, Stakeholder Requirements Capture
Stelios is currently a lecturer across a variety of postgraduate and undergraduate courses, within Salford Business School and he is also a supervisor for PhD / MSc students. His expertise is in the areas of;
- Project Management
- Operations Management
- Supply Chain Management and Logistics
His research is within the fields of Project, Process and Operations management, investigating:
- Value generation in Projects and Processes
- Benefits realisation in the management of projects;
- Process optimisation;
- Applications of lean thinking.
- Stelios holds a BSc (Hons) in Manufacturing Engineering and Management with Languages from Manchester Metropolitan University, with postgraduate studies (PgDip) in Advanced Manufacturing Systems and a Philosophy Doctorate (Ph.D.) in Project Management from the University of Salford.
- He has published in journals, books and conferences and has presented in a number of international conferences and events.
- He is a fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA), an Advance HE professional External Examiner for the University of Portsmouth and a visiting academic for Manchester University.
- Stelios is an affiliated member of Chartered Management Institute (CMI), an approved APM (Association of Project Management) training provider for Salford Business School and was member of the reviewing panel for Managing Successful Programmes 2011 ed.