Dr. Paul Jones
School of Health and Society
Lecturer in Sports Biomechanics and Strength & Conditioning
Paul is a Lecturer in Sports Biomechanics/ Strength and Conditioning at the University of Salford. Paul earned a BSc (Hons) and MSc in Sports Science both from Liverpool John Moores University and a PhD in Sports Biomechanics at the University of Salford. He is a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) with the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA), an Accredited Sports and Exercise Scientist with the British Association of Sports and Exercise Sciences (BASES) and a Chartered Scientist (CSci) with The Science Council. Paul has over 17 years’ experience in Biomechanics and Strength and Conditioning support to athletes and teams, working in sports such as athletics, football and rugby and was a former sports science support co-ordinator for UK disability athletics. Paul has authored/ co-authored over 60 peer reviewed journal articles.
Areas of research
Biomechanics, Sports and Exercise Science, Strength and Conditioning
- Module leader: Level 4 Principles of Training, Level 5 Biomechanics & Performance Analysis; Level 6 Biomechanics & Skill Acquisition of the BSc (Hons) Sports Science.
- Module leader: Injury Prevention & Performance Measurement of the MSc Strength & Conditioning; Sports Injury Rehabilitation.
- Assessment of muscle strength qualities for performance and injury risk assessment
- Assessment and development of speed and agility
- Biomechanics of sprinting and change of direction for performance and injury risk
- PhD in Sports Biomechanics July 2013, University of Salford.
- MSc Sports Science – Pass with Distinction. Liverpool John Moores University, October 2001.
- BSc (Hons) Sports Science (Class I). Liverpool John Moores University, May 1999.
- British Association of Sports and Exercise Scientists (BASES) Accredited Sport & Exercise Scientist (scientific support), September 2005 - present.
- Chartered Scientist (CSci) with the Science council, July 2013 – present.
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) with the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA), January 2004 – present.
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist - Recertified with Distinction with the NSCA (CSCS*D), January 2018.
- Full BASES (British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences) membership, since September 2000.
- Certified International member of the NSCA (National Strength and Conditioning Association), since January 2003
- Founder Member and currently associate member of the UK Strength and Conditioning Association (UKSCA), since October 2004.