Dr. Norman Murray
School of Science, Engineering and Environment
My main research interests are in creating and using interactive virtual environments for task management, building construction, engineering maintenance and 3D query languages.
- Interactive Visualisation – MSc module. This module is also taught to students from Estia.
- 3D Games Programming – final year undergraduate module
- Computer Science - International Foundation Year module.
My research career has always been in the field of virtual environments. At Salford my research has been focused in the development of interactive virtual environments within the construction and engineering domains.
This work was extended and applied to the engineering domain with the development of more advanced interactive, immersive interfaces and with the extension of the system for maintenance analysis and the automatic creation of disassembly sequences of engineering models. More recently, I have been investigating eye gaze within collaborative virtual environments, interaction management in VEs and utilizing the Kinect for video based interaction.
- University of Manchester, PhD Computer Science, “A visual query language for object databases and its implementation in a 3D environment”.
- Queen Mary, University of London, MSc Human Computer Interaction.
- University of Aberdeen, BSc Computing Science.