Professor Neil Currie
School of Science, Engineering and Environment
Professor of Structural Engineering Practice, Academic and Industrial Collaboration
I am a chartered structural (FIStructE) and chartered civil (MICE) engineer with extensive and varied experience of structural engineering design having had over 25 years industry related experience within boutique and large multidisciplinary engineering consultancies.
I have been responsible for a wide range of successful projects some of which include £200m mixed use developments, 50 storey mixed use buildings, tall buildings, large scale student accommodation, hotels, articulated glazed facades, cable supported roofs and canopies, CAT A office blocks, university libraries, lecture theatres, media installations, shopping malls, cinemas, museums, tensile fabric structures, inflatable structures, deployable structures, sustainable timber buildings, historic bridges, BREAAM rated buildings, transport interchanges through to competition winning bus shelters.
I have spent several years carrying out the analysis and design of fabric and tensile structures, including the form finding, stress analysis and patterning of various types of structure ranging from inflatable structures, cable nets, fabric structures and non-linear analysis of cable structures.
The projects that I have worked on have won numerous awards, some of which are listed below and these projects are embodied within the teaching practice and lectures on our Civil Engineering and Structural Engineering degrees.
Selected project awards:
- Best tall building Overall and Europe, CTBUH, 2010
- British Construction Industry Awards: Shortlisted, 2010
- Award for Excellence, RIBA Awards, 2010
- Large Scale Residential Award, MSA, 2009
- Overall MSA Design Award, 2009
- Residential Category, North West (RICS) 2008
Dalby Forest Visitors Centre:
- Prime Minister’s Better Public Building Award (BCIA), 2007
- Finalist in the David Alsop Sustainability Award (IStructE), 2007
No 1 Deansgate:
- Roses Design Awards
- Civic Tust Award 2004
- National Built in Quality Awards 2003
- RIBA Design Housing Award 2003
- Best Residential Project 2002
Areas of research
Deployable structures, Adaptable structures, Structural engineering, Low Carbon Building Design, Buckling
I teach primarily on the MSc Structural Engineering programme, where the programme has been created to develop the skills and techniques to support progress towards the IStructE chartered membership examination.
I also supervise undergraduate and postgraduate dissertation projects relating to deployable structures, kinetic sculptures and facades, and zero carbon buildings including novel materials such as structural cardboard and graphene enhanced concrete.
Deployable Structures, Adaptable Structures, Structural Engineering, Low Carbon Building Design, Buckling.
I also undertake elements of commercial testing and development of designs with industrial collaborators.
- PhD Kinky Structures (2019)
- PGCAP Post Graduate Certificate in Academic Practice (2012)
- BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering (1997)
- FHEA Fellow, Higher Education Academy (2012)
- IASS International Association of Shell and Spatial Structures (2012)
- MICE Member, Institution of Civil Engineers (2008)
- FIStructE Fellow, Institution of Structural Engineers (Member 2002, Fellow 2009)
- CEng Chartered Engineer, Engineering Council (2002)