School of Science, Engineering and Environment
I am a chartered structural (FIStructE) and chartered civil (MICE) engineer with extensive and varied experience of structural engineering design having had 15 years industry related experience within boutique and large multidisciplinary engineering consultancies.
I have been responsible for a wide range of successful projects some of which include £200m mixed use developments, 50 storey mixed use buildings, tall buildings, large scale student accommodation, hotels, articulated glazed facades, cable supported roofs and canopies, CAT A office blocks, university libraries, lecture theatres, media installations, shopping malls, cinemas, museums, tensile fabric structures, inflatable structures, deployable structures, sustainable timber buildings, historic bridges, BREAAM rated buildings, transport interchanges through to competition winning bus shelters.
I have spent several years carrying out the analysis and design of fabric and tensile structures, including the form finding, stress analysis and patterning of various types of structure ranging from inflatable structures, cable nets, fabric structures and non-linear analysis of cable structures.
The projects that I have worked on have won numerous awards, some of which are listed below and these projects are embodied within the teaching practice and lectures on our Civil Engineering and Structural Engineering degrees.
Selected Project Awards:
•Best tall building Overall and Europe, CTBUH, 2010
•British Construction Industry Awards: Shortlisted, 2010
•Award for Excellence, RIBA Awards, 2010
•Large Scale Residential Award, MSA, 2009
•Overall MSA Design Award, 2009
•Residential Category, North West (RICS) 2008
Dalby Forest Visitors Centre:
•Prime Minister’s Better Public Building Award (BCIA), 2007
•Finalist in the David Alsop Sustainability Award (IStructE), 2007
No 1 Deansgate:
•Roses Design Awards
•Civic Tust Award 2004
•National Built in Quality Awards 2003
•RIBA Design Housing Award 2003
•Best Residential Project 2002
Areas of research
Deployable structures, Adaptable structures, Structural engineering, Timber
As part of the teaching team that won the 2012 IStructE Teaching Excellence Award, we constantly strive to improve and develop our teaching practice.
As a real engineer, with considerable real world experience I embed the high profile projects into all of my lectures. Course content is practical, relevant, and current; with lecture material improved and developed anew each year.
I currently teach on all of our undergraduate Civil Engineering programs and also on our MSc in Structural Engineering.
My main research interests have various strands including fatigue performance of synthetic materials, tensile structures, deployable structures, tall buildings, and disaster relief structures.
I also undertake elements of pedagogic research investigating and evaluating new methods of teaching Structural Engineering using real time physics models and puzzles.
- BEng(Hons) Civil Engineering
- Post Graduate Certificate in Academic Practice (PGCAP)
- Fellow of the Institution of Structural Engineers (FIStructE)
- Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers (MICE)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Member of the International Association for Shell and Spatial Structures.
- Member of the IStructE Lancashire and Cheshire Regional Group Committee
- Chairman of the iStructE Lancashire and Cheshire Region Group 2014.
- Member of the IStructE Academics Qualification Panel.
- Member of the IStructE Examinations Panel.
- IStructE Chartered Membership Examiner.
- IStructE Chartered Membership Interviewer.
- British Red Cross Volunteer and Trainer.
- Registered STEM Ambassador.
- Member of the Engineers Without Borders Manchester Professional Network.