Whether you're a new student starting your first assignment, further on in your studies, or starting a research project, this page will help you find and use the best information for your subject. You will also find resources to help develop your academic, study and digital skills.
If you can’t find what you need here, please contact your Academic Support Team: email@example.com.
Key resources for Civil Engineering students
Specifically for Civil Engineering and related subjects:
Covering all science, engineering and technology subjects:
Institution of Civil Engineers - The website of ICE, an independent professional association for civil engineers, that includes news, events and conferences, publications, an image library, and career development opportunities.
Institution of Structural Engineers - The world’s leading professional body for structural engineering and public safety issues in the built environment. The fully searchable library is especially useful for tracing reports, papers and standards.
Transport Research Laboratory - A global centre for innovation in transport and mobility; provides information on bridges, pavements and transportation.
LinkedIn Learning offers over 9,000 professionally produced online courses covering a wide range of technical, creative and professional skills.
Always use our institutional link to log in – you will need your University email address and password. The first time that you log in, you will be taken through a setup process to discover courses tailored to your interests.
Discover more in our video: Using LinkedIn Learning at Salford.
APA 7th (Harvard) style is the main referencing style in use at the University. We've compiled an easy to follow list of guidebooks and examples to help you get to grips with complexities of referencing.
Newspapers are a valuable source of information. They provide insight into what interests and concerns people both now and in the past.
The Library provides some excellent newspaper sources that allow you to search simply and easily across many newspapers at once.
Dissertations and Theses
During the course of your studies, you may find that you need to search for dissertations or theses.
You can use Library Search to help you find them and there are a number of different ways to search, depending on what you want to find.
Book a one to one
If you’ve tried our eLearning and classroom sessions and need more help, you can request a one to one appointment for information finding, academic and writing or digital skills. Select your chosen time slot and book on through Advantage.
Book on a workshop
We offer a wide range of face-to-face skills training. If you need to improve your IT skills, learn how to find information for your assignments or improve your study skills this is a great place to start.
All workshops are bookable through Advantage by clicking on the workshop title. Where a session has no remaining spaces you can add yourself to the waiting list.
- Starts: 1 Feb 2023, 12:00 pmFinishes: 1 Feb 2023, 1:00 pmRemaining places: 24An introduction to tackling literature reviews.
- Starts: 6 Feb 2023, 11:00 amFinishes: 6 Feb 2023, 12:00 pmVenue: Peel Park Campus, Peel, Peel Building room 105Remaining places: 22If you are nervous about speaking up in groups this session can help!
- Starts: 6 Feb 2023, 1:00 pmFinishes: 6 Feb 2023, 2:00 pmVenue: Peel Park Campus, Clifford Whitworth University Library, CW Learning Suite 2Remaining places: 19For students who have been out of education for some time
- Starts: 2 Feb 2023, 12:30 pmFinishes: 2 Feb 2023, 1:30 pmRemaining places: 32Want to prove your Microsoft Office IT skills? Join our programme and find out how to gain Microsoft certified IT qualifications in applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint...You choose which exams to sit to become a Microsoft Office Specialist.
This webinar is delivered online.
- Starts: 9 Feb 2023, 1:00 pmFinishes: 9 Feb 2023, 2:00 pmVenue: Frederick Road Campus, Allerton, C811Remaining places: 7This is an EXAM SESSION for MOS certification. At the time of booking you must have scored over 70% in GMetrix's 'Testing' mode for your chosen application. Bookings not meeting this criteria will be cancelled. Candidates may also join this exam session remotely and take their exam off campus.
- Starts: 15 Feb 2023, 5:00 pmFinishes: 15 Feb 2023, 6:00 pmVenue: MOS Exam - Certiport exam providerRemaining places: 10Have you met the criteria for booking an exam place? This is an online EXAM SESSION for Microsoft Office Specialist certification. When booking you MUST have scored over 70% using GMetrix's 'Testing' mode for your chosen application. Bookings not meeting this criteria will be cancelled.
- Starts: 6 Feb 2023, 11:00 amFinishes: 6 Feb 2023, 12:00 pmRemaining places: 38This workshop will show you how to find and use electronic books (eBooks) in Library Search. This workshop will showcase eBooks and what they can do, and will include tips on using built-in tools to help save you time and advice on targeting your reading. This workshop is online.
- Starts: 7 Feb 2023, 1:00 pmFinishes: 7 Feb 2023, 2:00 pmRemaining places: 45This online workshop is a live demo of how Library Search works and showcases what it can do to help you find information.
This session is designed for UK and international students to help you prepare for finding information at Salford.
- Starts: 14 Feb 2023, 1:00 pmFinishes: 14 Feb 2023, 2:00 pmRemaining places: 39This workshop provides an introduction to the newspapers we have in our collections in the Library. There will be a a live demo of how to find and use current, historical, national and international digital newspapers. This workshop will be delivered online.