Dr Ben Shirley
Senior Lecturer in Audio Technology for the College of Science & Technology.
My main teaching areas are in spatial audio, music technology, audio production and post production on our BSc, BEng and MSc courses. Supervised final year and MSc projects are in spatial audio, accessibility and audio and MIDI software development.
Research interests include audio, media and broadcast including cross disciplinary research. I am currently working on object-based spatial audio systems and audio related accessibility especially in broadcast.
Recent Research Activity
* Co-Investigator on £5.4M S3A EPSRC project developing and evaluating object based spatial audio systems.
* Principal Investigator for Arts Council England funded project for The Space with Psappha
* Leading University of Salford’s part of a 9.5M euro FP7 project (FascinatE) which commenced February 2010 and completed in July 2013.
* Leading Ofcom funded project (VoIPTxt) making voice chat clients accessible for hearing impaired people
* Principal investigator on the Clean Audio Project, funded by the Independent Television Commission (ITC), and later Ofcom, aimed to improve intelligibility and enjoyment of digital TV for hard of hearing viewers.
Research outcomes in broadcast standards
ETSI Standard TR 101 154, V1.4.1 (2000-07), Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB); Implementation guidelines for the use of MPEG-2 Systems, Video and Audio in satellite, cable and terrestrial broadcasting applications.: ETSI.
EBU (2009). EBU – TECH 3333: EBU HDTV Receiver Requirements. 7.3 Clean Audio. Geneva, Switzerland: EBU.
Open IPTV Forum (2011). Open IPTV Release 2 Specification, Volume 2 – Media Formats [V2.0]
Nordig (2012). NorDig Unified Requirements for Integrated Receiver Decoders for use in cable, satellite, terrestrial and IP-based networks [V2.4]
I am Co-founder and Director of University spin-out company Salsa Sound Ltd, developing solutions for live sport audio.
I have also worked as consultant for a range of projects based at the Acoustics Research Centre, University of Salford.
Winner City Football Group Startup Challenge (2019)
AES Convention Best Paper Award, Dublin (2019)
Winner International Association of Broadcast Manufacturers Dragon’s Den event (2018)
Finalist BT Sport Innovation international competition (2018)
Alumni Achievement Award (University of Salford) (2012)
The Engineer Award for Consumer Technology (The Engineer Magazine) on behalf of the FascinatE project, (2011)
Merit Award (University of Salford) for ‘outstanding contribution to music technology’ (2002)
Qualifications and Memberships
PhD, 'Improving TV sound for people with hearing impairments’
MSc Digital Music Technology (Distinction), Keele University
PGCE Teaching & Learning in HE
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Member of the Audio Engineering Society
Member of the International Association of Broadcast Manufacturers
Please see my SEEK profile for publication data