Skip to main content

Working for the European Union

The following collection of websites have been collected together by Careers and Employability. These websites will give you further information, advice and key contacts about working for the European Union.

General Information


NARIC centres provide information on the comparability of international qualifications. You would usually contact the NARIC centre in the country you plan on studying/working in. The website lists details for all these centres. It also links to other useful education related websites for each country.

EU Careers Gateway

This British government website exists to make British graduates aware of the opportunities available in EU institutions. It includes detailed guidance on the recruitment process and sample pre-selection tests.

European Fast Stream

A European Fast Streamer is a British civil servant who aims to become an expert on the EU and EU policy. This government website explains that you will be placed in a major department of state in the UK but will also be placed in internships in EU institutions.

European Personnel Selection Office

This is the official site for recruitment for all EU institutions. All permanent staff for EU institutions are recruited through a process called an open competition. You can find more details about what is involved and adverts for posts on this site.


European Commission Traineeships Office

The European Commission offers 5 month traineeships to graduates from EU member states. This website contains more details about applications and interviews. Applicants must have a strong grasp or English, French or German.

European Parliament Traineeships

The European parliament offers paid and unpaid traineeships of varying lengths to graduates including traineeships in translation and interpreting.

The Council of the European Union Traineeships

The Council of the European Union offers 80 five month traineeships to graduates from EU member states annually. Applicants for these traineeships need to have a good grasp of English and French, and must have completed at least two years of university study, or be a recent graduate.

Court of Auditors

The Council of Auditors offers “in-service” traineeships for students who are either looking for a placement in between their second and third year while at university, or after they have graduated. Applicants for these traineeships must speak at least two of the official European Union official languages.

Committee of the Regions

Each year, the Committee of the Regions (CoR) provides a limited number of internships for young citizens, from Europe and elsewhere, offering them the opportunity to acquire work experience in a European institution. Applicants must either hold a university degree awarded after at least three years of study, or have successfully completed at least four years of university studies. It is recommended that all applicants have a good grasp of at least two of the official languages of the EU.

European Data Protection Supervisor (EDPS)

The EDPS offers two traineeships annually. They are offered only to nationals of European Union member states, and all applicants must have completed the entirety of their degree programme before the application closing date. All applicants must know at least two official European Union official languages, and one of these must be English or French.

European Economic and Social Committee

Twice a year the European Economic and Social Committee offers traineeships for a period of five months to university graduates who are nationals of the Member States of the European Union, as well as to a number of university graduates from non-EU countries. All traineeships take place in Brussels.

European Ombudsman

The Ombudsman offers traineeships, twice a year, primarily to university law graduates. The traineeships take place either in Strasbourg or in Brussels according to the needs of the Office. Applicants must be nationals of EU member states, hold a degree in law and be at an advanced stage of professional training or research in community law, and be fluent in both English and French.

Joint Research Centre (JRC) Traineeships

The JRC offers traineeships to science students and graduates. All recruitment is through open competition, through the different institutes which make up the JRC. More details can be found on the website.