LGBTIQ+ Students

We are proud to have an active student body and staff who support the rights of our LGBTQIA+ community.

We have lots of resources available for anyone seeking assistance or support in expressing and exploring identity, no matter where you fall on the LGBTQIA+ spectrum. If this is your first time thinking about your sexual orientation or gender identity, know that we seek to create a safe environment for you to question and explore by supporting a policy of diversity and equality for all staff and students.

You can contact us with any questions on or on +44 (0)161 295 0023.

University support available

Sometimes talking to someone, be it a friend, a counsellor or an adviser, can be the best thing you can do. So whether you're looking for information for yourself or to support someone else, you can find specialist support below.

While most health issues affecting LGBT+ individuals are similar to those of the general population, we know that LGBT+ people have unique health needs and experience disparities in care. Our on-campus Health Centre was awarded a Gold standard for ‘excellence in LGBT healthcare’ through LGBT Foundation’s Pride in Practice quality assurance scheme. The Health Centre offers services to support LGBTQIA+ students including bridging prescriptions for those waiting for specialist treatment, Gender Identity Clinic referrals, health screenings and more. Visit the clinic's webpage for more information.


Other sources of support

Manchester and Salford’s LGBT Community:

Support available if you live in Salford:

University support for trans students

For students who identify as trans or non-binary, we offer support to create a safe and welcome environment that is inclusive of your gender identity and expression. If you wish to go through any form of transition at university, we can support you by changing names, gender, pronouns, titles, referring you to external and internal specialist support etc at the speed that you feel comfortable with. We can also put you in contact with other Trans and Non-Binary students.

Contact our specialist advisers in askUS for more information or to book an appointment.

Not all students who identify as trans ask for the same level of support, however we are able to offer services that are beneficial to anyone comfortable with or questioning their gender identity or in the process of transition. These services include:

Further support for trans students

Useful resources

  • Your Right to Change Your Name: Information for transgender people about changing your name, including at the Department of Work and Pensions, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency, and the Passport Agency. There are two options when it comes to changing your name by deed poll. You can make an unenrolled deed poll yourself, or apply for an enrolled deed poll.
  • Gender Identity Research and Education Society (GIRES): a UK wide organisation whose purpose is to improve the lives of trans and gender non-conforming people of all ages, including those who are non-binary and non-gender.   
  • The Gender Trust: A charity that helps transgender people and all those affected by gender identity issues.        
  • Ministry of Justice: Apply for a Gender Recognition Certificate.     
  • Press for Change: A lobbying and legal support organisation for transgender people in the UK, it provides legal advice, training and research to transgender people, their representatives, and public and private bodies.        
  • TransWiki: A comprehensive directory of the groups campaigning for, supporting or assisting, transgender people and their families across the UK.   
  • Trans Unite: An up to date resource for the UK and online based support groups for members of the transgender & non-binary communities
    • This policy relates to both Trans and Non-Binary people and is a statement of support for both. We recognise that gender identity is a spectrum and both trans and cisgender people (see online glossary) do not always identify as binary male and female identities.