External Help and Advice

If you need money advice or find yourself in financial difficulty, there are many organisations that offer free and independent advice over the telephone or face to face.

Not sure where to start? Our Specialist Advisers can guide you to getting the help you need. The Money Advice and Funds Service can be contacted by email or you can booking a face-to-face appointment with a member of the team in University House if you have a more complex query. 

Money advice

Citizens Advice Bureau

The Citizens Advice Bureau can help you resolve legal, money and other problems by providing free information and confidential advice from over 3,200 locations around the country.

The Citizens Advice Bureau's website includes a local branchfinder and a subject searchengine across a range of issues from benefits and housing to consumer rights issues.

Money Advice Service

The Money Advice Service is a comprehensive resource for debt and other kinds of money management. There is a lot of useful information available which includes interactive tools such as budget planners.

You can phone them on 0300 500 5000 or by visiting their website

Money Saving Expert

Money Saving Expert provides information to help you save money in the form of deals, tips and journalistic articles. 

Debt advice

Debt Advice Foundation

Debt Advice Foundation operates a free telephone debt advice helpline. Their advisers may help you to consider different options. They also have online resources you can use such as the debt analysers, budget planners, and the Practical Guide to Money Management.

Their helpline is available on 0800 043 4050 or you can visit their website

Debt Support Trust

Debt Support Trust is a debt advice charity offering telephone or internet-based debt advice. Once online you are invited to 'take the debt test' which is a short questionnaire. You can ring them or book online to arrange a callback at a time to suit you.

You can phone the Debt Support Trust on 0800 085 0226 or view more information on their website


StepChange began in 1993 by offering free debt advice over the phone. They still offer this and have expanded their services. The advice is personalised and includes online tools. Before you phone, make sure that you’ve followed the instructions on the website as they ask you to do some tests first.

Their helpline is available on 0800 138 1111.

Salford Welfare Rights and Debt Advice Service

If you live or work in Salford they can offer you free, confidential and unbiased advice on your welfare benefits, tax credits or debt problems. They can help you find out about the benefits and tax credits you are entitled to and assist with claim forms. If you have debt problems they can help you draw up financial statements and negotiate with your creditors.

Their Welfare Rights Advice Line is available on 0800 345 7375 and their Debt Advice Line on 0800 345 7323. Alternatively visit their website for more information or pop into Crompton House, 100 Chorley Road, Swinton, Salford, M27 6PB.

Legal advice

Civil Legal Advice

Civil Legal Advice (CLA) is a free and confidential advice service in England and Wales paid for by legal aid.

If you are living on a low income or benefits, you may be eligible for free specialist advice from legal advisers on issues including benefits and tax credits, debt, education, housing, employment and family problems. The advice is independent and confidential. CLA will ask you questions about your problem and find out what help you need. You will be asked a number of questions about your finances to see if you are eligible for legal aid.

You can contact the CLA on 0845 345 4345 or visit their website for more information.

Law Centres

If you are being threatened with legal action, law centres can help to defend your legal rights. The Law Centres Network does not employ lawyers and cannot give any legal advice. Instead, it is an information hub which can help you to access legal advice in areas of social and community law.

Visit their website to find your local Law Centre.